Moscow Patriarchate’s disagreement over economic blocade of Cuba

  • arbible
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2006
      27 April 2006, 18:02 Moscow Patriarchate’s disagreement over economic blocade of Cuba
      Moscow, April 27, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox church thinks the U.S. economic sanctions against Cuba are unfair.

      ‘Certainly, we disagree with the economic blocade of Cuba. We consider the presence of an American military base on Cuba as wrong’, deputy chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for external church relations bishop Mark of Yegoryevsk said when answering the questions of journalists in Moscow on Thursday.

      He said a jaundiced view was often taken of Cuban problems, as ‘the position of its mighty Western neighbour is taken into consideration’. ‘We are convinced, however, that Cuba should be treated without prejudice’, bishop Mark said.