Marley Museum now official heritage site

  • Rev. Fr. John-Brian Paprock
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2006
      Marley Museum now official heritage site
      published: Tuesday | February 7, 2006

      Mel Cooke, Freelance Writer

      http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20060207/ent/ent1.html

      AS THE official thanks were being said at the Bob Marley Museum in
      St. Andrew yesterday morning, Stephanie Marley got up and brushed a
      piece of debris off the plaque which had just been unveiled.

      In black and white, the plaque, which is beside the red, green and
      gold bordered official designation of 56 Hope Road as a Protected
      National Heritage Site, summarises Bob Marley's life and musical
      career.

      Among the lesser known information is that "he was baptised in the
      Ethiopian Orthodox Church as Berhane Selassie, meaning 'Light of the
      Trinity'".

      "The site was designated an Protected National Heritage Site on May
      31, 2001, by virtue of Bob Marley's significant contribution to the
      establishment of Reggae music as a part of Jamaica's cultural
      heritage," the plaque also reads.

      And it ends with a quote from Trench Town Rock: "One good thing about
      music, when it hits you feel no pain, hit me with music the music
      now ..."

      WELL-DESERVED CHOICE

      Stephanie Marley, along with Minister of Education, Youth and
      Culture, Maxine Henry-Wilson, had just given the public a first look
      at the latest monument to her father's legacy. And on Bob Marley's
      61st birthday, the significance of the recognition was emphasised, as
      well as how appropriate it is.

      Mayor of Kingston Councillor Desmond McKenzie said, "On behalf of the
      Kingston and St. Andrew Corporation, I welcome the decision to
      declare this famous premise where reggae superstar Bob Marley once
      lived as a Protected National Heritage Site. We believe it is a
      really well deserved choice and we are sure that is one which will be
      of tremendous benefit to the (Jamaica National Heritage) Trust, the
      council, the Government, the country and its people in the near
      future."

      "I believe that Bob intended that after his passing his descendants,
      his country and his people should be able to utilise his legacy for
      their benefit," McKenzie said, quoting from Smile Jamaica.

      Henry-Wilson gave a personal Marley memory in welcoming the
      designation. "When we used to come on the bus to school, we used to
      peep in and see if we could see him playing football," she
      said. "Like Garvey, Robert Marley continues to live on long after he
      has gone."

      The words of Marley continue to reverberate in the minds of people
      everywhere," she said, specifying those "in personal and collective
      quest for survival".

      She noted that, although 56 Hope Road is not the place where Bob
      Marley was born, "it played a strong part in the creation of his
      legacy."

      IDENTIFY WITH HISTORY

      She congratulated the Jamaica National Heritage Trust on recognising
      a place "of sacred memory for the Jamaica people," saying that 56
      Hope Road was "one of the symbols of our struggles, but also our
      triumph. We declare this place as significant to our history and our
      culture."

      Among the Jamaica National Heritage Trust's (JNHT) criteria for a
      place to be designated a Protected National Heritage Site or National
      Monument are that it must identify with Jamaica history, prominently
      identify with an important moment in Jamaican history, be of
      importance to the public's imagination and prominently identify with
      great Jamaican personage.