Pope Shenouda III is received with honours in São Paulo

  • Rev. Fr. John-Brian Paprock
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2006
      PEOPLE & CULTURE
      [02/10/2006 - 20:35]
      Pope Shenouda III is received with honours in São Paulo

      'I came to consecrate our first church in Brazil,' said the head of
      the Coptic Orthodox Church of Egypt. He was received by 10 children
      from the church's choir, as well as personalities as the Egyptian
      ambassador, Mohamed Abdel Fattah, and the president of the Arab
      Brazilian Chamber, Antonio Sarkis Jr. This is his first visit to
      Latin America.

      Marina Sarruf/ANBA
      http://www.anba.com.br/ingles/noticia.php?id=10147

      São Paulo -Pope Shenouda III of Alexandria, patriarch of the Coptic
      Orthodox Church of Egypt, was received with honours on his arrival to
      Brazil this Friday afternoon (10). Shenouda received ten bouquets of
      roses from a group of children and teenagers at his arrival at the
      Guarulhos International Airport, in the greater São Paulo area. The
      children are part of the choir of the first and only Coptic church of
      Brazil, located in the Jabaquara neighbourhood in the city of São
      Paulo. They rehearsed three songs, two in Arabic and one in Coptic,
      to sing to the religious leader during his stay in Brazil.

      "I came here to consecrate our church in Brazil," said the Pope to
      ANBA at his arrival at the airport. As well as the group of children,
      Shenouda was received by the priest of the São Paulo Coptic church,
      Aghason Anba Paul, the president of the Arab Brazilian Chamber of
      Commerce, Antonio Sarkis Jr., the Egyptian commercial consul in São
      Paulo, Mohamed Bakri Agami, the Egyptian ambassador in Brasilia,
      Mohamed Abdel Fattah, the marketing vice president at the Arab
      Chamber, Rubens Hannun, amongst others.

      About 40 people, most of them followers, received the Pope at the
      airport. He arrived accompanied by a committee of 16 priests and
      bishops of the Coptic Church of the United States, Australia, Egypt,
      London and South Africa. "I came to foster care for our people," said
      Shenouda.

      One of the girls from the Coptic Church choir, Luana de Góes Lopes,
      14 years old, stated that the group practiced during one month with
      father Aghason the three songs they will sing to the Pope. "It is one
      Christmas song, one welcoming song and one from the psalm 117, from
      verse 24 to 26," explained Luana. Coptic is a language similar to
      Greek and which is spoken at the services.

      "It is very important to receive an official as Pope Shenouda III. He
      is a very charismatic person and of great sensibility. I was very
      moved at meeting him personally," said Sarkis after the reception at
      the airport. Sarkis welcomed the Egyptian patriarch and received a
      rose from him. "I am very anxious. It is the first time that we'll
      see the Pope of Egypt," said the teenager Bárbara Gonçalves, choir
      leader, while she waited for the Pope at the airport.

      This Sunday, Shenouda will consecrate the Saint Mark Coptic Orthodox
      Church of São Paulo, which in practical terms works since September
      2001. "This is a historic visit and we are greatly honoured in
      receiving the Pope here. This is his first visit to Latin America and
      Brazil," said ambassador Abdalla. The religious leader is making a
      journey through many countries and arrived in Brazil coming from
      South Africa. On Sunday, after the consecration mass, he travels to
      Bolivia.

      On Saturday, the Arab Chamber will offer a luncheon to the Pope and
      the Arab ambassadors in Brazil. In the afternoon he will hold a press
      conference at the Maksoud Plaza Hotel.

      Service

      Saint Mark Coptic Orthodox Church of São Paulo
      Rua São Borja, 201, Cidade Vargas, Jabaquara, São Paulo

      Consecration mass
      Sunday 12th of February 2006, 8:30 a.m.

      *Translated by Silvia Lindsey