Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Relics from Jerusalem Returned to Simferopol Monastery

Expand Messages
  • Bill Samsonoff
    http://www.risu.org.ua/eng/news/article;8900/ Relics from Jerusalem Returned to Simferopol Monastery 30.01.2006, [17:26] // UOC-MP // Simferopol-- A relic
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2006
      http://www.risu.org.ua/eng/news/article;8900/

      Relics from Jerusalem Returned to Simferopol Monastery

      30.01.2006, [17:26] // UOC-MP //

      Simferopol-- A relic reputed to be a piece of the true cross of Jesus
      Christ, and other relics which were taken from southern Ukrainian Crimea in
      1943, were returned to Ukraine on 24 January 2006.

      A delegation headed by Metropolitan Lazar (Shvets) of Simferopol and Crimea
      of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Moscow Patriarchate (UOC-MP) welcomed at
      the Simferopol airport an ark containing a piece of the true cross of
      Christ and relics of St. Paraskeva and the martyr St. Panteleimon.

      Because the relics had been in danger for decades because of religious
      repression under the Soviet regime, they were taken out of Crimea in 1943.
      First they went to France, then, since 1971, they had been kept at a
      monastery in Jerusalem.

      When it became known that the Crimean relics were being kept in Jerusalem,
      Metropolitan Lazar contacted Archbishop Mark of Berlin-Germany and Great
      Britain, overseer of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Jerusalem, with
      the request to return the ark with the relics to the St. Paraskeva Women’s
      Monastery of the UOC-MP Simferopol-Crimea Eparchy.

      Source:


      • http://pravoslavie.ru/news/060127105330
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.