In the News : Honouring Bob: Ghana The Focus For 2K6

  • Rev. Fr. John-Brian Paprock
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2006
      In the News : Honouring Bob: Ghana The Focus For 2K6
      on January 12, 2006, 4:40 pm (1537 reads)

      Following a largely triumphant gathering in the Ethiopian capital of
      Addis Ababa for his 60th birthday last year, the celebrations of the
      birth of late reggae king Bob Marley move to the west African nation
      of Ghana which will host this year's Africa Unite Bob Marley
      celebration show on February 6, the singer's birthdate.

      The announcement was made at press conference at the Bob Marley
      Museum, 56 Hope Road on Monday night, with both Africa Unite co-
      ordinator Dennis Wright and Marley's widow Rita giving details of the
      upcoming special.

      Wright announced that the artiste roster for the Ghana event will
      include Culture, featuring Joseph Hill, The Marley Brothers, the I-
      Threes, The Tamlins, Chakademus and Pliers, Steel Pulse, Dean Fraser
      and C-Sharp. Sharing the billing are African artistes Mz Bell,
      Batman, VIP and the Megastar band.

      Other celebratory activities are scheduled for The Phillippines,
      Belgium, and major cities across the US from February through April.

      For her part, Rita Marley outlined that the concert, which unlike
      last year's free event in Addis will attract a cover charge, would
      benefit the recently established Marley Health Care Centre in the
      Ghanian town of Konkonuru, which has become her second home. "We are
      focused on children, and even though we are still doing a lot fore
      the children here in Jamaica, I really want to help the children in
      Ghana."

      During the launch, Mrs Marley also asked for a moment's silent
      reflection at the recent passing of the regional head of the
      Ethiopian Orthodox Church, His Eminence Yebuna Yeseaq, whom she said
      had long been a firm supporter of the Marleys. Director of the Bob
      Marley Museum Jacqueline Lynch-Stewart updated the audience on the
      activities totake place locally for the Bob Marley birthday, which
      she said would focus not so much on entertainment but on
      culture. "We're going to feature drumming, dub poetry and dances as
      well as workshops and displays," she said.

      Speaking to Observer following the launch, Mrs Stewart said the
      Foundation had not received any official word from the ggovernment
      regarding the proposal to confer national hero honours on Marley. The
      representative at the Culture Division of the Ministry of Education
      Youth and Culture was said to be unavailable when contacted, and
      similarly the Cabinet secretary. A considerable lobby had emerged in
      the months leading up to Marley's 60th birthday to have hero honours
      coincide with the occasion, but the movement appears to have lost
      traction since then.

      Plans are to stage the Bob Marley 62nd birthday celebrations in South
      Africa in 2007.

      Source: Observer
      http://www.ghanamusic.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=514