Patriarch Bartholomeos visits hurricane-stricken New Orleans

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2006
      2006.01.09 ENI:
      Ecumenical News International / 9 January 2006

      Patriarch Bartholomeos visits hurricane-stricken New Orleans

      By Chris Herlinger

      New York, 9 January (ENI)--Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomeos I,
      widely seen as the spiritual leader of the world's Eastern
      Orthodox Christians, has visited hurricane-ravaged New Orleans,
      declaring that the city will be rebuilt and will flourish once
      again.

      "Damage will be restored. Life will blossom," the patriarch said
      during a 7 January visit to Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral
      in New Orleans, which has the oldest Greek Orthodox congregation
      in the Americas.

      The visit by Bartholomeos to New Orleans was planned before
      Hurricane Katrina destroyed much of the city in August 2005, but
      given special urgency afterwards, the New Orleans Times-Picayune
      newspaper reported.

      "Your pain was and is our pain. It was felt by all humanity,"
      Bartholomeos said in his remarks during an ecumenical prayer
      service at the cathedral. The ceremony was also attended by local
      political figures, including the governor of the state of
      Louisiana, Kathleen Blanco, and the mayor of New Orleans, Ray
      Nagin.

      The patriarch was in New Orleans as part of a 4-8 January visit
      to the United States during which he also spoke of his hope that
      Pope Benedict XVI would visit him at his headquarters in
      Istanbul, Turkey, in 2006.

      "We are in very good relationships with the present Pope,"
      Bartholomeos was reported saying at a press conference on 5
      January.

      During his stay in New Orleans, Bartholomeos visited parts of the
      city destroyed by the hurricane. In its report of the event, the
      Times-Picayune said the patriarch stopped near a vehicle that had
      flipped over on its top. Bartholomeos was heard to declare: "God
      protect us all."