Once again about Vladika Nestor

  • Nelson Mitrophan Chin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2006
      http://orthodox.cn/history/metnestor/onceagain_en.htm

      russianharbin.com | Tuesday, January 3rd 2006

      Once again about Vladika Nestor

      English Translation by Igor Radev

      L. P. Markizov, town of Siktivkar

      Since in "Russian Atlantis" No. 3 a substantial material on Vladika
      Nestor (Anisimov) was published, there was a feedback to my article on
      him by Alexander Cyrilovich Karaulov, son of the manager director of
      "The House of Mercy" in Harbin, Cyril Alexandrovich. Alexander
      Cyrilovich with the blessing of Bishop Ignatius of Petropavlovsk and
      Kamchatka is a member of the commission in charge of gathering
      materials leading to a canonization of Metropolitan Nestor, the
      Apostle to Kamchatka, who also became famous and for his good work in
      Manchuria.

      At the present moment I deem it important to throw some light on my
      position concerning the statements that had come to my attention
      spoken by some people who had never lived in Harbin. They assume that,
      since Vladika Nestor became an intermediary in the correspondence
      between Harbin-Manchurian Diocese and the Moscow Patriarchate which
      was concluded in July 1945 with the Diocese's acquiescence to
      Patriarch Alexis I, he allegedly spurred by that activity a negative
      reaction among the Harbin immigration. According to the opinion of one
      of them, who, by the way, has never lived in Harbin, the grudge of the
      immigrants about the submission of the Diocese to Patriarch Alexis I
      could had been expressed so sharply that it later may have become a
      reason for the mass arrests which happened in Manchuria starting from
      August 1945.

      I was in Harbin till the end of October 1945. I knew that the
      immigrants in their majority approved of the Diocese's acquiescence to
      the Patriarch and that the preparation for the act was done with the
      agreement of the ruling Hierarch Meletius and a number of others
      Hierarchs, and not solely by Metropolitan Nestor without their
      authorization. He was given the duty to take care of the
      correspondence without any publicity, so not to provoke the Japanese
      authorities of Manchukuo in blocking the contacts with the Patriarch
      of Moscow and all of Russia.

      I am also witness to the fact that the agents of SMERSH[1] during the
      interrogations in Harbin and the USSR were not interested at all in
      the attitudes of the arrested Harbin immigrants concerning the
      entering of the Orthodox Diocese under the jurisdiction of Patriarch
      Alexis I. I know this from my personal experience and from the
      testimonies of many Harbiners that had been arrested in 1945.

      I brought this position of mine to the notice of the commission in
      charge of collecting materials for canonization of Vladika Nestor
      through the commission member A. K. Karaulov.

      [1] A department in the Secrete Service of the USSR created during
      World War II and responsible for contra espionage. The acronym (СМЕРШ
      - SMERSH) stands for the Russian phrase – Смертъ Шпионам (Death to the
      spies).