On the Death of His Eminence-Archbishop Abuna Yesehaq...

  • Rev Fr John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2005
      From: hailepetros
      Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 12:01 AM

      In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit--one God, Amen...

      Dear Members of the AOC--YahooGroup:

      We hope that you are sustained by the Word of God, the Maker of All--our
      Lord, God and Saviour Jesus Christ.

      I would like to inform everyone that His Eminence--Archbishop Abuna Yesehaq
      has passed from this transient world [12/20/05. 11:25PM, EST] to the next,
      may the Hand of our Lord Jesus Christ and the Comfort of our Lady, the Holy
      Virgin Mary be with him during the journey of his soul (Amen).

      I am sure that some of you may be familar with H.E. Abuna Yesehaq, who was
      and is very well known, not only in the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Church
      communities, but in other communities as well--s piritual and secular.

      H. E. Abuna Yesehaq was born in Ethiopia in 1936 and then became a monk at a
      very early age. He excelled in spiritual knowledge as well as in secular
      studies. After being ordained archdeacon, he ascended to the rank of priest
      and then archpriest.

      Abuna Yesehaq, earlier known as Abba Laike [Mandefro] excercised the ability
      to lead others at an early age during his clergyhood. After becoming megabe
      (or Chief of the Monastery), he became an administrator at Debre Libanos.

      Abatachin (or our Father) Abuna Yesehaq was amongst some of the earliest
      clergy that was sent to the Western Hemisphere by the Holy Synod of the EOTC
      and by the Emperor Haile Selasie I. H.E. Abuna Yesehaq shared with me the
      story of his mission here to the West (the Americas). He told me, "H.I.M.
      Haile S elassie I summoned me to the Royal Palace and I was afraid...What
      could the King be seeking from me? I'm only a monk!"

      He continued, "H.I.M. ordered me to be a missionary to the West, especially
      those of the African Diaspora...I started to cry inside of my mind."

      Then the King asked me, "Are you afraid?!"

      "No!" I said, "Your Majesty." Then I returned to my cell and cried.

      H.E. Abuna Yesehaq continued to tell what unfolded and how it hurt him to
      leave his country, but his conscience and the Emperor reminded him, "The
      King of Heaven and Earth, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ said that all of
      us are apostles and must preach the gospel to the four corners of the
      world...baptizing the believers in the name of the Father, the Son and the
      Holy Spirit."

      After some years, Abuna Yesehaq was consecrated bishop and then Archbishop
      and Primate of the EOTC in the Western Hemisphere.

      He received a Doctorate of Divinity from Princeton University (School of
      Theology), St. Vladimir's Russian Orthodox Seminary; a degree in Psychology
      and English Literature from NYU.

      There are a host of accomplishments that may be mentioned on the part of
      this blessed Archbishop. He was very stern when necessary, but
      compassionate at the same time. In my opinion, H.E. Abuna Yesehaq was so
      kind, he could be mistaken for a push-over.

      Unfortunately, Abuna Yesehaq's Primacy and (Arch) Bishopric was negated in
      1992-3, due to a host of complexities. This caused his detachment from the
      Patriarch and Holy Synod of the EOTC. H.E. Abuna Yesehaq continued to
      established many EOTC's i n America, Canada, West Indies and South Africa.

      Those who were sons, daughters and friends of Abuna Yesehaq will miss him
      and pray for his soul.

      May God Almighty allow his soul to rest in the bosom of Abraham, Isaac and
      Jacob (Amen).

      Your brother and servant in the name of the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac
      and the God of Jacob,

      hailepetros