Catholic Church reborn as Serbian Orthodox parish

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2005
      2005.12.22 CNC:

      Catholic Church reborn as Serbian Orthodox parish
      By Sarah Andrews/ CNC staff
      Thursday, December 22, 2005

      In less than two weeks, parishioners of the St. Sava Serbian Orthodox
      Church will be celebrating the new year in a new church.

      After purchasing the Immaculate Conception Church on Alewife Brook
      Parkway from the Archdiocese of Boston in November, Fr. Aleksandar
      Vlajkovic said he is excited to have a more centrally located church
      building and a chance to expand the church's membership.

      "My hope is that people start coming in bigger numbers ... Our parish
      has many young people and it's a growing community," he said. "What we are
      doing now is a benefit for us and future generations."

      Vlajkovic said the church is selling its former place of worship in
      Wakefield. For a church that serves members from Connecticut, Rhode Island,
      Vermont and New Hampshire, Cambridge will be a more accessible location.

      St. Sava purchased the church building from the archdiocese for $2
      million, said Vlajkovic. The French-American School purchased the campus'
      rectory and school buildings.

      Because the Orthodox Church shares some traditions with the Roman
      Catholic Church, Vlajkovic said St. Sava did not need many renovations to
      the church's interior, though they are embarking on some improvements
      expected to be completed next year.

      St. Sava's first liturgy will be held on Jan. 1, 2006, at 10 a.m.,
      and Bishop Mitrophan Kobic from Pittsburgh, Penn., will perform the
      consecration. Because the church operates on the Julian calendar, Christmas
      services will be held on Jan. 7. St. Sava services are conducted in
      Serbian, English and Slavonic.

      Vlajkovic recognized the loss that many Catholics felt over the
      closure of Immaculate Conception.

      "I feel sorry for them. I hope that this can at least be some comfort
      to them that [the church] was not sold to a developer or is going to be
      used as something completely different," he said. "It's a place of
      Christian worship. All people can stop by at any hour to pray. I hope that
      will be of some comfort."

      The Jan. 1, 2006, liturgy and following catered reception is open to
      the public. If you want to attend the reception, call 617-876-0707 to make
      a reservation.