Muftis did not come to an agreement on Russian State Emblem

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2005
      2005.12.06 REGNUM:
      Permanent news address: http://www.regnum.ru/english/555930.html

      Muftis did not come to an agreement on Russian State Emblem

      After several claims of Muslim leaders, who asked to remove Orthodox
      symbols from the Russian State Emblem, Chairman of the Russian Mufti
      Council Ravil Gainutdin declared that he is for the preservation of current
      Russian State Emblem. “We live in secular country and must observe the
      symbols, approved by the parliament and the president,” said Gainutdin.

      Earlier, Professor of Moscow Spiritual Academy, Deacon Andrei Kuraev said:
      “I’m not afraid to live in a muslimized country, because I’m Christian, and
      I’m protected by Koran, because I profess the religion of the Book. And
      Koran prohibits living in Islam country only for pagans and atheists.”

      However, head of Muslim Spiritual Department of the Asian part of Russia
      Nafigulla Ashirov is sure, that the Russian State Emblem must not contain
      any religious symbols, as he stated in an interview to “Echo of Moscow”.
      © 1999-2005 REGNUM News Agency

      Registration certificate No. El 77-6430 of the 6th August, 2002
      All materials reprinted from the site must link to REGNUM News Agency