Abp Demetrios Condemns Hostile Demonstrations

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2005
      2005.11.02 HNA:
      ARCHBISHOP DEMETRIOS CONDEMNS HOSTILE DEMONSTRATIONS
      AGAINST OUR ECUMENICAL PATRIARCHATE

      NEW YORK - Archbishop Demetrios of America has expressed his deepest
      sorrow and his strong and unequivocal condemnation for the most recent hostile
      demonstrations and threats against the holy center of world Orthodoxy, the
      Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, in Istanbul, Turkey.

      This latest assault took place last Thursday, October 28, when groups of
      Turkish nationalists and other extreme elements demonstrated in Phanar
      against the Ecumenical Patriarchate chanting slogans such as "one night
      we'll come to the Phanar," "go away Patriarch," "Patriarch don't test our
      patience," "take the Patriarchate and go to Greece," and the like. Before
      police intervened, the angry demonstrators reached the entrance to the
      Patriarchal compound, and placed a black wreath in front of the gate.

      Archbishop Demetrios in his statement of condemnation said, "I express my
      deepest sorrow for the events that transpired outside of our Ecumenical
      Patriarchate last Thursday. The actions of these Turkish
      extremists-nationalists are appalling and condemnable in and by any
      civilized country. These are actions against a holy institution which
      survived and lives on through the centuries. It's an institution highly
      respected by the entire civilized world. These demonstrators are short
      changing themselves and Turkey, as they paint a picture of uncivilized,
      petty, narrow-minded people."

      "As a Church and as Orthodox in America, we are in spirit and in prayer by
      the side of our Ecumenical Patriarchate, and we stand in full support with
      love and care towards our Mother Church as we are reassured that He Who has
      many times saved this Patriarchate and has protected it in difficult times
      will once again be next to our Ecumenical Patriarch and the Fathers of the
      Great Church of Christ and He will lead this crisis to a favorable result
      according to the teachings of our Lord, that God, 'will not break a bruised
      reed, and smoking flax He will not quench, till He sends forth justice to
      victory' (Matt. 12:20)."