ROC Synod sessions opened in Moscow

  • Nina_Dimas_42
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2005
      http://www.interfax-religion.com/print.php?act=news&id=417

      2005-10-06 14:12:00

      Session of the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church opened in
      Moscow

      Moscow, October 6, Interfax - The session of the Holy Synod of the
      Russian Orthodox Church, chaired by the Patriarch of Moscow and All
      Russia, has opened on Thursday at the patriarchal working residence
      in Chisty Pereulok in Moscow.

      'I cordially greet all the members of the Holy Synod at its regular
      session, which is traditionally held on the threshold of the
      Commemoration Day of St. Sergius of Radonezh. I greet you on the
      occasion of the Feast of the Venerable Father', the patriarch said
      opening the session.

      After the greeting, the primate of the Russian Church congratulated
      Metropolitan Juvenaly on his 70th birthday and presented him with
      the Order of St. Seraphim of Sarov, First Degree, the Moscow
      Patriarchate officials informed Interfax.

      Its agenda includes consideration of such urgent issues as religious
      situation in Ukraine, especially the transfer of the Greek-Catholic
      headquarters from Lvov to Kiev, prospects for rapprochement between
      the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Church Outside Russia, the
      work of the Canonization Commission and summing up the celebrations
      held to mark the anniversary of the Kulikovo Battle.

      The synodal governance system was introduced in the Russian Orthodox
      Church by Peter I in 1721 and the Holy Synod was the church supreme
      governing body till Patriarch Tikhon was elected to the Moscow see
      in 1918.

      At present the synod is a consultative body under the patriarch,
      which exercises administrative function in the period between
      Bishops' Councils.

      The Synod includes six hierarchs as permanent members who are
      obliged to attend every session. It is convened by the patriarch
      twice a year for the so-called summer (March-August) and winter
      (September-February) sessions.