IOCC: Quilts And Kits Bring Comfort For Katrina, Rita Survivors

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2005
      News from IOCC - International Orthodox Christian Charities

      110 West Road, Suite 360, Baltimore, Md. 21204 Tel: (410) 243-9820 Fax:
      (410) 243-9824
      Web: www.iocc.org E-mail: news@...

      For immediate release
      October 5, 2005

      Baltimore, Md. (IOCC) Three shipments of material aid, including
      quilts, health kits and school kits, all gifts from Lutheran World Relief,
      have been received by emergency response staff working for International
      Orthodox Christian Charities in Houston, Texas, and Biloxi and Gulfport,

      While hundreds of tons of food, clothing, diapers and children s
      supplies, water and medicines have been distributed throughout the
      hurricane affected areas, the measure of care and comfort brought by the
      hand-made quilts held added significance for survivors who received them.

      The beauty of these quilts is compounded by what went into them,
      observed Mary Francis Ford, who heads the distribution center at Our Lady
      of Fatima Roman Catholic Church in Biloxi, Miss. that is the hub of an
      ecumenical effort supported by IOCC together with 18 churches representing
      many faith communities in the area.

      We are in awe. It is so nice to have something so beautiful in
      addition to being helpful, said Ford as she surveyed the quilts.

      A total of 22,400 quilts will be given to people displaced by
      Hurricanes Katrina and Rita who have no bedding, according to Frank Carlin,
      field director of the IOCC emergency response team

      It was clear that the brightly-colored quilts warmed the spirits as
      well as the bodies of weary hurricane survivors who received them.

      I remember how winds blew salt water 50 miles inland and turned
      everything brown, recalled one woman as she received a hand-made quilt in
      Biloxi, Miss. After what seems like such a long period, it is refreshing to
      see something so colorful and beautiful.

      Nearby an 80-year-old woman started crying at the sight of the quilts.

      I lost everything. My house was blown away and with it was my
      grandmother s quilt, she said as tears mixed with joy and sadness cascaded
      off of her cheeks.

      The school kits will provide school supplies for 4,510 displaced
      children, and the 6,600 health kits will help people maintain personal
      hygiene. The value of the quilts and kits for Biloxi, Miss. alone is more
      than $360,000.

      Both IOCC and LWR are members of Action by Church Together, a global
      alliance of churches and related agencies working to save lives and support
      communities in emergencies. The Action by Churches Together alliance is
      made up of Protestant and Orthodox churches.
      Founded in 1992, IOCC is the official humanitarian aid agency of the
      Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas
      (SCOBA). Contributions to IOCC s Hurricane Disaster Response Fund may be
      sent to IOCC, Hurricane Relief, P.O. Box 630225, Baltimore, MD 21263-0225.
      Donations may also be made online at www.iocc.org or by calling toll-free
      1-877-803-IOCC (4622).