Orthodox bishop says Vatican assembly confirms Orthodox traditional values

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2005
      http://en.rian.ru/russia/20051004/41595049.html

      Orthodox bishop says Vatican assembly confirms Orthodox traditional values

      ROME, October 4 (RIA Novosti) - The Russian Orthodox Church considers
      current discussions at the Catholic Synod of Bishops assembly in the
      Vatican to confirm the Orthodox Church's traditional values, a Russian
      bishop said Tuesday.

      Bishop Yegorevsky Mark, deputy head of external relations for the Moscow
      Patriarch, who is leading a Russian Orthodox Church delegation to the
      Vatican, said decisions made by Catholic leaders over liturgical issues
      would ultimately result in a return to traditions.

      More than 250 bishops are attending the general assembly, which opened
      Monday. The assembly, scheduled to run for three weeks, is focusing on the
      theme "the Eucharist, source and summit of the life and mission of the Church".

      Mark said changes made 40 years ago had substantially relaxed access to
      Catholic communion.

      "The aim of the Catholic Church to adapt to the modern world, to make
      Christianity more understandable and 'easy' for the world has had serious
      negative consequences," he said.

      According to Mark, this situation has also caused a reverse reactionary
      process, geared towards returning to the same traditions the Orthodox
      Church has faithfully observed.

      "We view this process as a confirmation of the correctness of our own
      experience and the importance of maintaining our traditions," the bishop said.