Alexy II: "...speed process of turning poeple towards the Church"

  • Nina_Dimas_42
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2005
      http://www.interfax-religion.ru/print.php?act=news&id=6601

      Alexy II hopes that the Church's new generation of priests will
      speed the process turning people towards the Church

      Moscow. October 5. INTERFAX – Alexy II, Patriarch of Moscow and All-
      Russia is not totally satisfied with the way Orthodoxy is developing
      in Russia.

      "Through the mercy of God, we have been able to accomplish much
      during the last few years. However, all this cannot, in any way, be
      compared to the task that lies ahead which needs to be done for the
      glory of God, said Alexy II in an interview with the magazine 'Foma'
      [Thomas]".

      According to the Patriarch, "the process of turning the people
      towards the church is proceeding slowly, and this is the fault of
      the pastors."

      "I very much hope that a new generation will invigorate the Church
      and find new means to preach Orthodoxy" noted Alexy II.

      Moreover, he added that at the beginning of the 1990s, "many of us
      witnessed the so-called religious boom: people assigned a greater
      role to the Church; they sought Truth in the temple."

      "I cannot say for certain, that we were able to live up to society's
      hopes in each case; some priests themselves were not prepared for
      this", said the leader of the Russian Church.

      Gibson's "The Passion of Christ" and Martin Scorcese's "The Last
      Temptation of Christ, the Patriarch noted that, during the film
      shoot, M. Gibson was guided by a deep religious feeling."

      "Unfortunately, we do not encounter anything of this sort, in the
      second film ('The Last Temptation of Christ' – Inferfax). On the
      contrary, the director tries to attribute his personal passions to
      Jesus Christ. This not only offends believers' feelings, but also
      distorts historical reality", emphasized the Patriarch.