Why we are standing with Our Holy Father

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2005
      Why we are standing with Our Holy Father

      Patriarch Antonious- the Third Patriarch of Eritrea.

      Be patient and you will finally win, for a soft tongue can break hard
      bones. (Proverbs 28:13)

      A. The Synod and its legal Authority

      The central pillar of the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo religion is the
      Patriarch. The Patriarch is the president, CEO, and the highest spiritual
      leader in the church hierarchy. The Synod embraces the Holy Synod title
      only in the presence of His Holiness (The Patriarch). The highest religious
      authority of our church is the Holy Synod. The laws and centuries-old
      traditions of the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church validates that the
      Patriarch must preside and bless all Synod meetings.

      The Synod can not consider having a legislative and administrative mandate
      without the presence of the Patriarch. Hence, removing the Patriarch from
      the central role of the church negates the very essence of the Orthodox
      Tewahedo religion.

      In view of this, we ask the Bishops to follow and respect the position,
      guidelines and instructions of the Father of the church-His Holiness
      Patriarch Antonious, the Third Patriarch of Eritrea.

      B. The Diocese and its role

      The Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church Diocese of North America was
      established by willing participants of Eritrean churches in the United
      States and Canada and with the blessing of the Holy Synod. These willing
      participant churches formed a non-profit organization under the laws of the
      host country. Each church is an independent non-profit organization with
      its own by-laws and is established under the laws of the host state. Each
      church conducts its day-to-day administration and is run independently,
      responsible to its Board of Directors and its members.

      The Diocese of North America is also a non-profit registered organization
      under the laws of the State of Georgia , USA . While the spiritual law of
      the Diocese is governed by the Holy Synod, the administrative activities
      are governed by the By-Laws of the Diocese and State Laws Governing
      Non-profit Organizations.

      The Diocese did not take its July 22 nd and Sept 17th decisions lightly as
      the problem, which started with the Bishops disrespectful actions against
      our Holy Father directly affected its own existence. Immediately after the
      problem surfaced when the members of the Synod ganged up against our Holy
      Father and voted illegally to remove him from his most important duties as
      a patriarch, the Diocese has seriously evaluated the implication of these
      illegal acts of the bishops.

      The Diocese after:

      • Having consulted His Holiness Pope Shenouda of Egypt ,

      • Reviewing the By laws of the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church ,

      • Researching the Cannon Laws of our Religion

      Decided in its Washington - DC annual meeting ( 7/30/2005 ) and reiterated
      in its Atlanta emergency meeting ( 9/17/2005 ) that:

      Our leader is His Holiness Patriarch Antonious, and that we shall only obey
      his instructions. In particular we shall not accept letters, directives or
      instruction that does not bear his signature!

      C. Our Plea

      The current problem in our church is created in Asmara and it should be
      solved in Asmara . As a result, we are appealing to the Bishops currently
      roaming North America from city-to-city to follow the long standing
      traditions and cannon of our church and to follow their spiritual
      leader-His Holiness Patriarch Antonious. We are asking the bishops to lead
      by example and show humility by obeying their superiors before they demand
      any rightful respect.

      The Patriarch has said of Abune Lucas and Abune Sinoda I did not send them
      to America .

      The current problem is internal to our church and must be resolved within
      the Synod of the Eritrea . Abune Shenouda and Abune Lukas must stop the
      unfounded attacks on the Diocese and its leadership. The Bishops' baseless
      attacks have greatly saddened the followers of the church and are beneath
      the dignity of any Bishop. To date the result of their smear campaign has
      been to sow discord and division among the faithful.

      The Executive Board of the Diocese

      September 28, 2005

      SOURCE:-www.tewahdo.com/newsEven_WhyWeareStandingWithOurHolyFather.htm

      For more information visit our Diocese's website:- www.tewahdo.com