Urgent Message from the Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Southern USA

  • Fr John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2005
      Urgent Message from the Diocese of the Southern USA
      http://www.suscopts.org/press/katrina_diocese.html
      COLLEYVILLE, TX. September 1, 2005 -- "I would have lost heart, unless I
      believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the
      living" (Psalm 27:13).
      Just as the psalmist King David in the midst of adversity steadfastly
      confirms his faith we must also implore God's help in the distress of those
      in the congregation of St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church adversely devastated
      by Hurricane Katrina.
      The Southern Diocese would like all the Copts who have been displaced by
      Hurricane Katrina to do the following:
      Register online by completing this form <../formkatrina.html> so His
      Grace Bishop Youssef and Fr. Youstos may know of your confirmed safety and
      where you can be contacted.

      Of utmost importance, as you return to view your businesses and
      homes if damaged by Hurricane Katrina take digital pictures for insurance
      purposes. Disposal digital cameras can be purchased for a nominal cost and
      expedite insurance claims on route into New Orleans.

      News reports derived from Baton Rouge regarding New Orleans are
      advising that children in primary through high school levels need to be
      immediately registered for school outside New Orleans in order that they not
      be held back in the same grade the next enrollment year. There are NO New
      Orleans schools operational at this time. Please keep in mind the school
      systems in Louisiana outside the New Orleans parameter are rapidly filling
      up any empty allotments following their local student registrations, if you
      have more than one child and would like your children to be placed together.
      It is advised that the New Orleans area school systems should be
      (potentially) operational in three to four months so perhaps enrollment will
      only be necessary for this amount of time. The same may be said for
      temporary housing such as rental apartment unit leases.

      The Southern Diocese has established a relief assistance. Please, as
      you register your name and location and state any needs you may have for
      yourself or your family. God willing we will try to help in housing as much
      as we can.

      For any person in need of medical supplies such as medications
      please make the Southern Diocese aware of your needs. Be prepared to name
      the pharmacy you patronized if you do not know medication names or dosages
      in order that your records can perhaps be accessed by another of the same
      chain of stores. Again, the diocese will need an address or pharmacy
      telephone number that you plan to use at the present time to pick up your
      medicines. If you need assistance with purchasing your medications this will
      be provided as well.

      If you re-enter New Orleans at any time remember safety issues as
      looting is pre-dominant in the city. I am assuming the same may be the case
      else where the Hurricane has devastated areas.

      There have been no updates regarding the status of the St. Mark New
      Orleans Church at the present time.

      If you would like to contribute to the Southern Diocese's Hurricane
      Katrina Disaster Relief Fund make your check payable to Diocese of the
      Southern United States indicating Katrina Fund and mail it to:
      Diocese of the Southern United States
      P.O. Box 1005
      Colleyville, TX 76034-1005
      For those members of St. Mark Church who have been evacuated to
      shelters and have computer access, text message access, etc. Please notify
      the Southern Diocese at relief@... <mailto:relief@...> and
      the church nearest your location will send someone for you.

      A special Divine Liturgy (to be announced on the website very soon)
      will be held by His Grace Bishop Youssef and Fr. Youstos for all those of
      the St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church in New Orleans.
      The Holy Book of Isaiah states, "For I, the LORD your God, will hold your
      right hand, saying to you, 'Fear not, I will help you'" (Is 41:13).
      The congregation of St. Mark New Orleans is in our fervent prayers as well
      as in the prayers of our entire Diocese. May God be with you all.