Relics of Ss Cyprian and Justina return to Cyprus from Moscow

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2005
      2005.08.31 MOSCOW PATRIARCHATE:
      http://www.mospat.ru/text/e_news/id/10187.html
      Church news
      Relics of Ss Cyprian and Justina return to Cyprus from Moscow

      On 27 August 2005, the relics of Ss Cyprian and Justina left the Moscow
      stavropegic convent of the Conception of St.Anna for Cyprus after a short
      prayer service, taking part in which was His Holiness Patriarch Alexy II of
      Moscow and All Russia.

      His Holiness was greeted at the holy gates by mother superior hegumeness
      Yuliania. Accompanied by the clergy and sisters of the convent His Holiness
      proceeded to the main church of the convent, where the shrine with the holy
      relics stayed.

      His Holiness Patriarch Alexy venerated the relics of Ss Cyprian and Justina
      and greeted a delegation of the Morphou metropolia of the Orthodox Church
      of Cyprus headed by Metropolitan Neophyte of Morphou. His Holiness the
      Patriarch greeted representatives of the fraternal Orthodox Church of
      Cyprus on behalf of all the faithful of the Russian Orthodox Church for an
      opportunity to pray at the shrine with the relics of the holy martyrs
      Cyprian and Justina. 'After difficult decades in the life of the Russian
      Orthodox Church we are happy to become involved in veneration of the
      shrines that are holy for all Christians, to receive the blessing, prayers
      and help of Universal Orthodoxy in our spiritual revival'.

      Metropolitan Neophyte of Morphou in his word in response addressed the
      Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia; 'It is with an awe that I stand in
      front of you, Your Holiness, who are reviving the Russian Orthodox Church.
      Your invitation and your prayers persuaded us in the necessity to bring the
      relics of the holy martyrs to Russia. It is for the first time in 700 years
      that they left our Church. We wish the holy martyr Cyprian who has a
      special gift of exorcising to bless the Russian people, exorcise demons
      from our lives and to give us the Holy Spirit who unites us at every Divine
      Liturgy. Thank you for your invitation.

      On the days during which the holy relics stayed in Russia were disciples of
      the piety of the people of God for whom you take spiritual care. You are
      renewing their faith and strength so that they can bear the spirit of the
      revival after the theomachist period. The disorders and trial that the
      Russian Orthodox Church has experienced and survived have enriched us with
      many martyrs and confessors who give us, Orthodox Greeks and Cypriots, an
      example of endurance in the Lord, asceticism and martyrs' deeds. Such
      people as your predecessor His Holiness Patriarch Tikhon, Metropolitan
      Veniamin of Petrograd and all new Russian martyrs and confessors inspire us
      and our flock as we experience difficulties in the life of the Orthodox
      Church of Cyprus'.

      His Holiness Patriarch Alexy had a talk with Metropolitan Neophyte, taking
      part in which was Bishop Mark of Yegorievsk. His Holiness noted that since
      Turkey captured a part of Cyprus the Russian Orthodox has symphasized with
      the fraternal Orthodox Church of Cyprus and its believers and shared their
      sorrows. The Morphou metropolia, a half of which was captured, greatly
      suffered from political disorders on Cyprus. He underscored that many
      Russian Orthodox people who come to Cyprus as pilgrims and who live there
      need pastoral care and expressed his hope for the opening of the
      representation of the Russian Orthodox Church on Cyprus.

      Metropolitan Neophyte said that a part of his metropolia is located on the
      captured territories and emphasized that as metropolitan of the diocese
      with many destroyed churches, he understands better than anyone else the
      experience of the Russian Orthodox Church, which had undergone the period
      of repressions.

      Metropolitan Neophyte presented His Holiness the Patriarch with an icon of
      Ss Cyprian and Justina on a round board and a book on the history of the
      Church of Cyprus.

      His Holiness the Patriarch presented Metropolitan Neophyte with a panagia
      made to commemorate the 15th jubilee of the patriarchal ministry.

      A short prayer service was celebrated in front of the holy relics, after
      which the shrine was taken round the church in a solemn procession. His
      Holiness blessed the worshippers with the shrine and handed it over to the
      head of the delegation of the Church of Cyprus. The shrine was taken out
      through the holy gates, and the delegation left for the airport.

      Bishop Mark of Yegorievsk was among those seeing the delegation off at the
      airport.