"..unknown state of consciousness during prayer"

  • Nina_Dimas_42
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005
      [Interfax's translation should read "consciousness" rather
      than "conscience".]

      http://www.interfax-religion.com/print.php?act=news&id=277

      2005-09-01 15:31:00
      Russian Scientists discovered earlier unknown state of conscience
      during prayer

      Moscow, September 1, Interfax - Moscow scientists discovered
      scientific basis for the changes that can happen in human life after
      prayer.

      The series of unique experiments were held in laboratory of neuro-
      and psychophysiology in the famous `Bekhterevka' - the St. Petersburg
      Bekhterev psyconeurological institute, Komsomolskaya Pravda weekly
      issue reports Thursday.

      `We registered an amazing phenomena after making dozens of brain
      processes encephalograms during prayer', head of the Institute's
      laboratory professor Valery Slezin says.

      The paper reminds that till now science has known three basic states
      of brain: vigilance, `quick' and `slow' sleep. Slezin's experiments
      disclosed another state -'prayer' vigilance. The cerebral cortex
      seems to cut off, but a person continues to receive information
      bypassing his thought processes and analysis.

      `It seems to me, - continues Slezin, - though I cannot prove it, that
      conscience begins to exist outside the body'.

      He thinks that `prayer' vigilance when the brain is in a `baby's
      state is necessary for us like all other states'. If our life lacks
      it, the harmony of our body is misbalanced and sickness appears.

      `It is not without reason that the Gospel says: be like children and
      you will be saved. During prayer the pathological links between the
      neurons are disconnected, man relaxes, and stops thinking about his
      illness. What is the more important, he becomes free from the fear of
      falling ill', professor said.