Peaceful coexistence is aim of world churches' inter-faith gathering

  • Fr John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2005
      Ecumenical News International / 02 June 2005

      Peaceful coexistence is aim of world churches' inter-faith gathering

      Geneva, 2 June (ENI)--Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Christian, Hindu
      and other religious leaders are to gather in Geneva 7 to 9 June
      at the invitation of the World Council of Churches which says it
      hopes the meeting will provide a new impetus to inter-religious
      dialogue.

      "The question is no longer why do we need dialogue but rather how
      do we transform dialogue into peaceful coexistence; how do we
      translate dialogue into common action?" said WCC moderator
      Catholicos Aram I of the Armenian Apostolic Church in a statement
      on Thursday.

      The WCC says the conference is to bring together religious
      leaders, academics, human rights activists, humanitarian workers,
      journalists, and people working across religious traditions
      coming from most parts of the world.

      "Dialogue between faiths remains a high priority for the WCC, but
      now there is a need to move into a new phase, into a dialogue of
      life, society and ethics which all people struggle with," said
      WCC general secretary, the Rev. Samuel Kobia.

      The conference is to examine the challenges of violence and
      prejudice which undermine dialogue, noted Kobia.

      The WCC general secretary said in May at a meeting of Christian
      leaders in Athens that interfaith dialogue would be a priority in
      the future for the WCC, which groups 347 member churches mainly
      from Protestant, Anglican and Orthodox traditions.

      Kobia told the Athens meeting, "The dialogue that we have between
      ourselves as Christians should also be extended to include people
      of other faiths."

      * * *