DESTRUCTIVE SECTS GROWING IN RUSSIA - PATRIARCH ALEXIS II

  • Fr John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2005
      http://en.rian.ru/society/20050526/40424999.html

      DESTRUCTIVE SECTS GROWING IN RUSSIA - PATRIARCH ALEXIS II
      21:53

      MOSCOW, May 26 (RIA Novosti) - Patriarch Alexis II of Moscow and All Russia
      is concerned over the growth of destructive sects in Russia.

      "We do not have any religious conflicts. But there may be problems with
      destructive sects which Russia has in abundance," Alexis II said at the
      meeting with Human Rights Commissioner of the Council of Europe Alvaro
      Gil-Robles in Moscow on Tuesday.

      There are some 6,000 registered sects in Russia today.

      "Sometimes these sects have an influence on people's psyche, are engaged in
      financial machinations and even drive people to suicide," the patriarch
      said.

      According to him, sectarians often accuse authorities of not supporting
      sects.

      "The Japanese totalitarian destructive sect Aum Shinrikyo was active in
      Russia in the 1990s. Many state officials demanded that I should meet with
      Asahara (the Aum leader)," Alexis II said.

      Aum Shinrikyo, a notorious Japanese spiritual organization, had dozens of
      thousands of followers. It masterminded the gas attack on the Tokyo subway
      in 1995 killing 200 people.

      "Fortunately, I did not give in to this pressure, otherwise, I would have
      been summoned to Tokyo to give evidence," the patriarch said.

      The Russian Orthodox Church conducted dialogue and cooperated with the
      religious organizations which are not involved in any destructive
      activities, he stressed. "The religious situation in Russia is stable and
      positive," Alexis II concluded.