Beirut Archbishop criticizes leaders for neglecting the people's welfare

  • Fr John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2005
      http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=1&categ_id=2&article_id=1
      4741

      Aoude slams lack of unity among politicians
      Archbishop criticizes leaders for neglecting the people's welfare

      By Rita Boustani
      Daily Star staff
      Tuesday, May 03, 2005

      BEIRUT: The Orthodox Archbishop of Beirut, Elias Aoude, accused both
      loyalists and the opposition Sunday of neglecting the people's welfare and
      chasing private interests.

      Speaking during Easter Mass, Aoude slammed the lack of unity in both
      parties, saying: "I don't see unity in this country ... I don't want to
      cause the people to despair, but I feel disunity and collapse in political
      ethics."

      The archbishop further denounced the lack of political vision and planning,
      "as everybody is busy with the elections and they don't have time."

      Aoude also came out against supporters of certain Christian political
      parties who have raised party banners instead of Lebanon's national flag
      during public events. "Only the Lebanese flag should be hoisted. Other flags
      mean their wielders are loyal to their parties, not to Lebanon."

      In a clear reference to supporters of the Lebanese Forces party and its use
      of an altered cross as the party's symbol, Aoude added: "Leave the cross
      alone. Christ has been crucified on the cross and I am willing to die on the
      cross. It is a sacred religious emblem that must be kept out of partisan
      politics."

      The archbishop also denounced the shape of the LF cross. He said: "The cross
      cannot be a dagger. The cross is not a tool for killing but a means of
      life."