WWII Memory To Inspire Anti-terror Cause

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2005
      2005.03.09 RIAN:
      WWII MEMORY TO INSPIRE ANTI-TERROR CAUSE: RUSSIAN CHURCH PRIMATE

      MOSCOW, March 9 (RIA Novosti) - The 9th World Russian Popular Council
      took start today at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, Moscow's principal
      shrine, under the motto, "Unity of nations and persons is an earnest of
      victory over fascism and terrorism". Alexis II the Patriarch of Moscow and
      All Russia-Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church, made an opening address
      to the gathering.

      Memory of Russia's Great Patriotic War against nazi Germany (1941-45)
      will help us oppose terrorism, said His Beatitude.

      "We must spare no efforts for a rebuff to attempts to treat aggressors on
      a par with those who fought them. We must do all we can for our grateful
      memory of those who fought a victorious war in the ranks of the world's
      strongest army to protect the human race from more acts of mutual
      extermination.

      "The ideas of global dictatorship and terrorism have no lost their grip
      on many minds.

      "We are to see just what we can do to oppose terrorism, preserve steady
      peace between nations as the most precious fruit of the Victory, and revive
      the ideal of national unity and staunch spirit, which was displayed during
      the war.

      "Victory in the Great Patriotic War cemented Russia.
      "Victory in World War II brought the Eastern Christian nations of Europe
      closer together, enhanced the influence of the Russian Church, and made it
      possible to establish autocephalous Orthodox Churches in Poland and
      Czechoslovakia," said the Patriarch.