complete: Four New Metropolitans To Malankara Church Consecrated Today

  • Fr. John-Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5 2:25 PM
      [this is the complete article]

      Four New Metropolitans To Malankara Church Consecrated Today

      By George Thazhakara

      IOH News Service
      http://www.orthodoxherald.com/churchnews19.asp

      Parumala March 5 2005: Malankara Orthodox Church is now blessed with four
      more Metropolitans today as the elect ones were consecrated as their new
      shepherds.

      H.G. Dr .K J Gabriel Mar Gregorios, H.G. Dr. Zachariah Mar Theophilos, H.G.
      Augen Mar Dionysius and H.G. Dr. Yoohanon Mar Chrisostom are the four
      consecrated as Metropolitans at Parumala Seminary Church on Saturday March 5
      2005.

      The holy consecration ceremony was led the supreme head of the Church, His
      Holiness the Catholicos Baselius Marthoma Mathews II and assisted by the
      Catholicos elect H.B. Thomas Mar Thimothios, in the presence of 18 other
      Metropolitans, hundreds of clergies, tens of thousands of faithful at home
      and all over the world.

      The Catholicos and other Metropolitans of the church first led the four
      Bishop-elects into the 'Madbaha' during the morning prayers.

      After being initiated into the new ecclesiastic status by the Catholicos,
      the four Rambans knelt down in mediation facing the Holy Altar. In middle of
      the holy Eucharist, celebrated by His Holiness, the consecration ceremony
      began.

      During the first phase, all the four Rambans sealed their divine contract
      affixing the signatures before the Chief celebrant His Holiness the
      Catholicos. The second phase saw them declared as new Metropolitans of the
      church. Then they were given the shepherd staff, seated in thrones attired
      in Metropolitan's vestments and raised three times as per custom by saying
      'Oxios'.

      After 'Basmalko', H. G. Thomas Mar Athanasius, the Metropolitan of Kandanadu
      diocese delivered the Word of God regarding the 'good shepherd'. At 2pm the
      consecration ceremony came to an end.

      Later, in a public meeting to felicitate the newly ordained shepherds, Chief
      Minister of Kerala Mr. Oommen Chandy hoped the newly ordained bishops would
      serve the church and society alike positively. He said this while on
      inaugurating the public meeting held at the Church premises immediately
      after the consecration ceremony.

      His Holiness the Catholicos Baselius Marthoma Mathews II presided over the
      public meeting. Among those who offered felicitations were Dr Marthoma
      Metropolitan H.G. Philipose Mar Chrisostom , Catholicos-Elect of Malankara
      Orthodox Church H.B. Thomas Mar Thimothios, H.G. Thomas Mar Athanasios, H.G.
      Dr Thomas Mar Makarios, and Sabha Secretary Dr Alexander Karackal.

      Felicitatory Message
      From Fr. K. G. Philipose ( Diocesan Secretary, America)

      "Our Church has consecrated four new bishops at the Parumala Seminary
      Church. It gives me great honor and privilege representing the American
      Diocese to wish them well as distinguished spiritual leaders of our Church.

      Our Church is looking up to them with great hope. We desperately need their
      leadership and service. We, the members-at-large including the bishops need
      spiritual armor to retain the current members and bring in new ones to our
      Church. We truly have to focus on our youngsters with great potential and
      resources. It is high time to focus on ways and means of upholding the honor
      and dignity of our Church and stay away from political means distracting the
      mission of the Church. I hope that the new bishops will get in touch with
      our ordinary people and meet their spiritual needs strengthening our Church.

      We need unity within the Church and make peace with our brothers and sisters
      now under the spell of Patriarchal faction. This does not mean we accept
      their bishops and priests (while ordinary people and their church buildings
      remain with the Patriarchal side) alienating our own clergy; we have to make
      choices on a case by case basis distinguishing between shepherds and wolves.

      It is my hope and prayers that the newly consecrated bishops may uphold the
      honor and dignity of our Church continuing their accomplishments in the
      past. Let us pray for them that His name may be glorified. Long live
      Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church!"

      [photos on site]
      H.G. Dr .K J Gabriel Mar Gregorios, H.G. Dr. Zachariah Mar Theophilos, H.G.
      Augen Mar Dionysius and H.G. Dr. Yoohanon Mar Chrisostom are consecrated as
      Metropolitans at Parumala Seminary by his Holiness Baselius Marthoma Mathews
      II. on March 5 2995