ERITREAN POLICE FORCES DETAIN 131 CHILDREN AT ORTHODOX CHURCH

  • Fr. John-Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005
      From: orthodox3@... - Stephen.Hayes

      ERITREAN POLICE FORCES DETAIN 131 CHILDREN AT ORTHODOX CHURCH

      ERITREAN POLICE FORCES DETAIN 131 CHILDREN AT ORTHODOX CHURCH A group of
      policemen in the northeastern African country of Eritrea rounded up 131
      children ranging from ages 2 to 18 at about 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 19, as
      they were attending Christian instruction classes. The children were
      apprehended at Medhane-Alem Orthodox Church in the capital city of Asmara
      when
      a truck with the policemen arrived. An eyewitness said the police put the
      children in the truck and took them to the nearby police station where they
      registered the children's names and addresses. After the children were put
      in a
      hall at the police station, they started to sing in a loud voice, "I am not
      afraid of persecution, hardships and even death. Nobody can separate me from
      the love of Jesus Christ. He died on the cross and he gave me new life." The
      policemen ordered the children to stop singing, saying: "You must shut up.
      This
      is a police station." But the children refused to stop singing. The
      authorities
      then turned on a television and turned up the volume. The children
      protested,
      and the policemen started to beat them. Children less than the age of 14
      were
      released that afternoon and told to come back on Monday with their parents.
      The
      remaining 30 children are still being held and have been transferred to two
      other police stations. The church has been targeted by a special task force
      after all the charismatic churches were ordered to close. The task force was
      reportedly set up by the Eritrean government. (Christian Solidarity
      Worldwide/Compass)