Patriarch Alexis Concerned About Ukrainian Orthodox Flock's Plight

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      2004.12.30 RIAN:
      PATRIARCH ALEXIS CONCERNED ABOUT UKRAINIAN ORTHODOX FLOCK'S PLIGHT

      MOSCOW, December 30 (RIA Novosti) - Alexis II the Patriarch of Moscow and
      All Russia-Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church-is badly alarmed by the
      situation of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church under the Moscow Patriarchate.

      "We have closely monitored Ukrainian elections. We welcome whatever
      choice the nation has made. Yet the situation of the canonical Ukrainian
      Orthodox Church alarms us as the Moscow Patriarchate is linked to it in
      common prayer, and upholds unity with it," the Patriarch said to newsmen in
      Moscow today.

      "I wouldn't like to see the Ukrainian Orthodox Church facing problems if
      local supporters of schismatic sects recur to coercion as they have been doing.

      "With due consideration for the nation's choice of President, one ought
      also to hold in respect the flock's choice of ecclesiastical jurisdiction-I
      mean the Ukrainian Orthodox Church under the Moscow Patriarchate. I hope
      Ukraine's new President will be wise enough to take the road of unity not
      confrontation.

      "We greet whatever choice made by the people."

      The Patriarch wished the president elect "to have his rule bringing
      reconciliation to the Ukrainian nation, which has presently fallen into
      West and South. The split that has been ought to be stopped, and new splits
      are not to find whatever encouragement. The weal and the future of any
      country depends on public consolidation," stressed Patriarch Alexis with
      reference to Viktor Yushchenko, who scored 51.99 per cent of votes in a
      presidential runoff, which repeated last Sunday, December 26, according to
      preliminary returns.

      The Ukrainian Orthodox Church under the Moscow Patriarchate possesses 35
      dioceses with more than 9,000 parishes, say the latest statistics of the
      Moscow Patriarchate Department of External Church Relations.
      © 2004 RIA Novosti