Putin hopes Orthodox Church will make its contribution to establish peace in Middle East

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2014

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 20, 2014
        http://www.pravmir.com/putin-hopes-orthodox-church-will-make-contribution-establish-peace-middle-east/

        Putin hopes Orthodox Church will make its contribution to establish
        peace in Middle East

        The Russian president also said that the people of Russia were watching
        the events in Eastern Ukraine with anxiety and grief
        admin | 19 July 2014

        SERGIEV POSAD, July 18. /ITAR-TASS/. Russian President Vladimir Putin
        hopes that the Orthodox Church will make its contribution to
        establishing peace in the Middle East.

        Putin, who met representatives of local Orthodox Churches at the Holy
        Trinity — St. Sergius Monastery on Friday, wished Metropolitan Timothy
        of Vostra, the Patriarchate of Jerusalem, success in serving in a unique
        place like Jerusalem, the cradle of Christianity.

        Regrettably, the president said, the Middle East had been torn by
        various conflicts for many years. “Today, we can see a new conflict
        flaring up there again — with bloodshed and human casualties. We are
        anxiously watching what’s going on (in the Middle East),” the Russian
        leader went on to say.

        “But I am sure that the presence of the Orthodox Church will play a
        positive role in reconciling the warring parties,” the president stressed.

        “In the end, everybody comes to peace. Only, it is important to make
        this road as short as possible and avoid inflicting huge casualties on
        the way to peace,” Putin said.

        He also urged Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill to make a strong
        contribution to pacifying the warring parties in Ukraine.

        “I think that all of us should be out to achieve this goal. I am going
        to ask the patriarch to make his strong contribution to this
        pacification,” Putin said.

        “We believe that peace should come to the land of Ukraine as soon as
        possible. All the warring parties should establish direct contacts with
        each other as soon as possible,” the president emphasized, adding that
        all the parties in conflict should immediately stop military hostilities
        and sit down to peaceful talks.

        Putin also said that the people of Russia were watching the events in
        Eastern Ukraine with anxiety and grief. “This just is terrible. It is a
        tragedy,” the president stressed.