Winter Texans Wanted!

  • mateliza@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2004
      Winter Texans Wanted:
      Orthodox Christian Retirees Needed on the Southern Border

      Now that there is an occasional bite found in those northern winds, our
      beloved “Winter Texan” Parishioners are now preparing to return here, to their “
      other” Parish and winter homelands. It’s not too early to begin thinking about
      later this winter, when snows will again be deep and the roads slippery. If
      you have been considering someday enjoying a warmer, Southern winter, think
      seriously about South Texas!

      Here, along the Tropical and Coastal Borderlands of Texas, quite near South
      Padre Island and just across the Rio Grande from Mexico, you will also find an
      active, friendly, ethnically diverse Orthodox Parish which would love to claim
      you as part of the family during those cold winter months! This spring, St.
      George the Great Martyr Orthodox Church is celebrating its 25th year of
      serving of Christ here in the Rio Grande Valley. St. George’s is an Orthodox Church
      in America (OCA) Parish, under Archbishop DMITRI of Dallas and the South.

      Not only would we welcome you, but we NEED your help! This year, we are
      expanding our long established across-the-border almsgiving and outreach
      activities, which include helping two orphanages and supporting a missionary Health
      Clinic in Reynosa, Mexico. This summer, we began a weekly Food Ministry (Food
      Pantry) which is now thriving. It is administered out of St. George’s Parish
      Hall, and Father could use some help! We would love to have Orthodox volunteers
      and retirees help us staff this wonderful and much needed outreach program
      here on the border.

      In addition, it is our hope in the foreseeable future to rebuild and expand
      our all-too-small Parish Hall. The “Casa Amparo” Orphanage we help in Reynosa
      also has a number of building projects to better serve the girls they shelter.
      We would love to have skilled Orthodox builders and tradesmen come down and
      give us a hand! There is no better place in the entire country for bird and
      butterfly watchers than the Texas Rio Grande Valley. So, join us next winter!
      Enjoy God’s incredibly diverse creation! While doing so, come and spend your
      winter months in good company, serving the Church and God’s people.

      Quite near the Church, there are a number of Mobile Home Parks, temporary and
      permanent RV sites, as well as reasonably priced winter rentals. Nearby areas
      include the towns of Pharr, Edinburg, McAllen and Mission. If you or someone
      you know might be interested in taking the South Texas plunge next winter,
      contact us and we will try to help you connect with a good place to stay.

      Donations for the Clinic, Orphanages and for the expansion of our Church Hall
      (so we can better serve others) are all very much appreciated. For more
      information, to make donations to these projects or to help find a place to stay,
      contact Michael Price at 936-329-2322 or contact Father Antonio Perdomo at
      956-781-6114 or 781-2388. In addition, Father’s email address is:
      padreantoniop@...

      Check out our Parish web site at: www.st-george-pharr-tx.org/Submitted by
      Matushka Elizabeth Perdomo at: mateliza@...

      St. George-the-Great-Martyr Orthodox Church
      P.O. Box 667
      Pharr, TX 78577-0667
      956-781-6114
      http://www.st-george-pharr-tx.org/