Church [of Greece] to curb debt

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2013

      Church to curb debt

      The Church of Greece is drawing up a three-year financial plan in an effort to determine the size of its debt and to exploit its assets Archbishop Ieronymos said
      Church
 curb debt
      Archbishop of Athens and All Greece Ieronymos.

      The Church of Greece is drawing up a three-year financial plan in an effort to determine the size of its debt and to exploit its assets Archbishop Ieronymos told a session of the Holy Synod this week.
      "The situation today is dire," Ieronymos told clerics, saying that the Church's debts and the general economic situation "have brought us to our knees." A three-year program would "present a picture of our debts and our reserves as well as outlining the impact of a new legislative framework on the exploitation of our assets," he said.
      Emphasizing that "without assets we will never have autonomy," Ieronymos also set the scene for a discussion about a possible change in the relationship between the Greek Orthodox Church and the state.
      "Will we let events overtake us?" the archbishop asked and called for the creation of a committee of clerics and independent experts to discuss a likely constitutional revision and its implications for the Church.
      Source: ekathimerini