Yazigi, Ibrahim discuss kidnapped Syrian bishops

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2013
      http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Lebanon-News/2013/Sep-26/232679-yazigi-ibrahim-discuss-kidnapped-syrian-bishops.ashx#axzz2g3w75ZUZ

      Yazigi, Ibrahim discuss kidnapped Syrian bishops
      September 26, 2013 05:11 PM
      The Daily Star

      BEIRUT: Greek Orthodox Patriarch John X Yazigi discussed recent
      developments Thursday in the case of two kidnapped bishops in Syria with
      head of General Security Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim.

      The two held talks at the Rafik Hariri International Airport for 20
      minutes before Yazigi departed to The Vatican.

      “We thank everyone for their efforts particularly Maj. Gen. Abbas
      Ibrahim for the efforts he has exerted in the case of the kidnapped two
      bishops and we will remain hopeful,” Yazigi told reporters at the Beirut
      airport in response to a question about the meeting with Ibrahim.

      “God willing, soon we will all celebrate the presence of bishops Yazigi
      and Yohanna among us,” he said.

      Aleppo’s Greek Orthodox Archbishop Boulos Yazigi and Syriac Orthodox
      Archbishop Yohanna Ibrahim were abducted in April by armed men while
      they were on their way to Aleppo from the Turkish border.

      Yazigi is scheduled to hold talks with the Pope and discuss the
      situation in Syria and the Christians in the Middle East.

      “Wherever we go, we carry the concerns of our people and the region so
      there will be deliberations about the situation in our countries in the
      east, Syria and Lebanon,” he said.

      He also thanked the Pope for the call for peace he made earlier this
      month for the world and in Syria.

      Yazigi also discussed the situation of the predominantly Christian
      Syrian village of Maaloula which came under attack by radical rebel
      groups who reportedly destroyed and looted churches, forcing dozens of
      families to flee.

      The patriarch said he made an appeal earlier this week for the sake of
      Maaloula in order to distance the village from ongoing clashes and spare
      it damage.

      The village is of great significance to Christianity as many of its
      inhabitants speak Aramaic, the language believed to be spoken by Jesus.

      “The appeal was also for all international organizations, the
      International Red Cross, the Red Crescent, and government and
      non-government organizations to help the village from a humanitarian
      aspect and provide it with water, electricity and food for the 40
      individuals including nuns and orphans in the Mar Takla monastery,”
      Yazigi said.

      He noted that the nuns were not hostages but they refused to leave the
      monastery.

      Asked about the presence of Christians in the Middle East which many
      argue is under threat, Yazigi said Christians and Muslims of this region
      share a similar history and fate and “we have always lived side by side
      despite some circumstances.”

      Read more:
      http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Lebanon-News/2013/Sep-26/232679-yazigi-ibrahim-discuss-kidnapped-syrian-bishops.ashx#ixzz2g3wdSgoY
      (The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)