Serbian Patriarch against Pride Parade

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25 8:56 PM
      http://www.balkaneu.com/serbian-patriarch-pride-parade/

      Serbian Patriarch against Pride Parade

      By Milos Mitrovic / 24/09/2013

      Serbian Orthodox Church (SOC) Patriarch Irinej said that “nowadays
      nothing is so endangered as matrimony and family which are being
      systematically destroyed especially by encouraging so-called Pride Parades”.

      Pride Parade in Belgrade is scheduled for Saturday, September 28th.
      Organizing such an manifestation and promotion of gay rights as well are
      the preconditions for the accession of Serbia into European Union.

      On Monday, Patriarch Irinej, along with SOC Bishops, celebrated the
      Liturgy in Sremska Mitrovica, ancient city of Sirmium, commemorating 17
      centuries since acquiring rights of free practice of religion by Edict
      of Milan. “This year the continuation of spiritual renaissance is
      expected and struggle for the values and sanctites such as matrimony and
      family as well”, Patriarch emphasized.

      He added that the “life would have lost its sense without this
      sanctities”. Several thousands people attended the commemoration in
      Sremska Mitrovica.

      “Our people is pressured by so many troubles and we do not need this
      scourge (Pride Parade) in addition”, Patriarch said. “It seems that
      could be the very last step before eradication of our people from the
      face of Earth now and forever”.

      “The family is the foundation of both society and the people. Healthy
      family is a basis for healthy society, healthy people, healthy
      educational system and healthy culture. The family is a small Church and
      the place of true freedom; the family represents the elementary school
      for studying all true, ethical and spiritual values”, Patriarch
      stressed. “We are obliged to protect this values with all our strength”.

      “The time has come for both the Church and the Government to do
      something for the sake of life, to raise the birth-rate”, Serbian
      Patriarch concluded.

      Earlier this month, the EU Home Affairs Commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom
      has sent a letter o the Serbian Prime Minister Ivica Dačić in which she
      stressed that the 2013 Belgrade Pride would be “an important step in
      Serbia’s progress toward EU membership by guaranteeing the principles of
      equality and non-discrimination”. Malmstrom called on the authorities in
      Serbia to ensure all necessary conditions for a peaceful Pride. She also
      has sent a letter of support to organizers of the Pride, thus joining
      many foreign embassies in Serbia and international organizations in
      requesting that the LGBT community’s freedom of assembly should be fully
      respected.