Multiculturalism rich in church’s 100-year history

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2013

      Multiculturalism rich in church’s 100-year history
      Lisa Goudy
      Published on September 24, 2013

      Many cultures make up the congregation of the Holy Trinity Orthodox
      Church in Moose Jaw.

      “There’s a huge number of people in Moose Jaw that have ties to the
      church just because they’ve been here so long and because it was a
      multicultural church,” said Anna Bingham of the church. “It wasn’t just
      one culture such as Ukrainian Orthodox or Russian Orthodox or Greek
      Orthodox, but there were people from different cultures that took part
      in building the parish and we still have a great cross-section of
      cultures there.”

      From refugees from African nations with Orthodox faith to Eastern
      Europeans, she said there is a “mix of people that wind up having ties
      to the church in some way.”

      The parish was founded in 1913. On Sunday there are celebrations for the
      100th anniversary of the church on South Hill. There will be a liturgy
      at 10 a.m., a display of memorabilia and sharing from noon to 2 p.m. at
      the Cosmo Senior Citizens Centre and a private banquet and program
      beginning at 3 p.m.

      “We want to honour and recognize the people that have contributed in so
      many different ways through the years and just have available some
      pictorial displays,” said Bingham. “We have newspaper articles that
      we’ve photocopied and laid out through the years, mainly through the
      '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s and 2000s, but we also do have other pieces of
      information from the earlier times that are quite interesting to look at
      and read.”

      She said the Bishop will be present for the service.

      “We’re hoping that there’ll be a lot of visitors come that have ties to
      the church through the years,” said Bingham. “In the afternoon at the
      Cosmo Centre we’ll have more space to kind of stretch out and have our
      displays and … just allow time for people to talk about their memories
      about church and about the parish.”

      Over the 100 years the church has seen many changes. In 1913 a small
      group of immigrants built the church on the land in South Hill.

      The parishioners were from places such as Bukovina, Galicia, Bessarabia,
      Romania, Ukraine, Russia, the Baltic States and regions of Greece.

      Over the years the church has seen its up and downs.

      “The original building, as far as I know, burned down completely in the
      1930s, but it was rebuilt again fairly quickly, I think, and then it was
      renovated and put onto a new foundation in the '50s or the '60s,” said

      Through the 1950s to the 1980s the church had an active ladies’ group to
      fundraise for the church and the Moose Jaw community.

      “They did fundraising for the United Church when it had a bad fire and
      for the hospital and they were involved in care homes,” said Bingham.
      “Just like any other active church, we were involved in the community in
      many different ways through the years.”

      She said the key to the future of the church is flexibility.

      “Nowadays, Moose Jaw is becoming a home to refugee and immigrant people.
      That’s always been the case, but they’re coming from different countries
      now,” said Bingham. “I think we want to see what the Lord gives us to
      set our hands to for this period of Moose Jaw’s history.”

      Follow Lisa Goudy on Twitter @lisagoudy.

      From the church web site:

      We are a multi-cultural parish of the Canadian Archdiocese of the
      Orthodox Church in America under His Grace, Bishop Irenee.