MANVILLE: Blessing of the animals

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2013

      MANVILLE: Blessing of the animals
      By Mary Ellen Day, Special Writer
      Father Ken Ellis blesses Ruby the parrot with owner Sharon Kechula on Saturday at Holy Ghost Carpatho Russian Orthodox Church.
      Photo by Mary Ellen Day
      Animals were blessed Saturday in honor of the Holy Martyr Mamas at the Holy Ghost Carpatho Russian Orthodox Church on South 7th Avenue. Pet owners brought their pets out for the second annual blessing.

      Father Ken Ellis prayed for the animals.

      ”You made the heavens and the earth and all they contain. You commanded the waters and the earth to bring forth all manner of living creatures the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and all the animals that walk upon the face of the ground. You provide for the birds of the air which neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns and have given them to us as an example of your providential care,” he said.

      There were many dogs big and small and even a parrot named Ruby. Father Ellis personally went to each animal and blessed them.

      Four-year-old Peanut, a Pomeranian sprits mix, came dressed in his tie for the blessing. Owner Maryann Lozak said Peanut was coming to church for the blessing and needed to be dressed up. He is a rescue from Miracles with Paws dog rescue in Dunellen and was just adopted on Dec. 31.

      ”He is just the sweetest dog and he is just a love. He wakes me up in the morning with kisses and he is just as sweet and he can be,” said Ms. Lozak.
      Parishioner Sharon Kechula loves the idea of the blessing.

      ”We wanted to do it for several years. The other churches have St. Francis that they bless for that patron saint and our church also has a patron saint for animals,” she said. “We thought it was important for the community and our pets to receive the blessing as well as we do as humans. Animals are important to us and God gave us the animals for specific reasons and to love and give love back and I feel they should be blessed and loved the same way we are blessed and loved,” she said.

      ”We had a good turn out and we’d like to make this an annual event,” said Father Ellis.