Rai voices fear over sectarian killing in region

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2013
      http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Lebanon-News/2013/Sep-13/231190-rai-voices-fear-over-sectarian-killing-in-region.ashx#axzz2epXW0Ew6

      Rai voices fear over sectarian killing in region
      September 13, 2013 05:32 PM
      The Daily Star

      BEIRUT: Maronite Patriarch Beshara Rai voiced Friday fears about the
      ongoing sectarian killing in the Middle East during a meeting with
      Patriarch Daniel of the Romanian Orthodox Church.

      “I told the patriarch what frightens us today is that we are living
      wars, violence and sectarian killing in the Middle East and fighting
      between the moderates and the radicals,” Rai said, following his meeting
      with Daniel in Bucharest, according to the National News Agency. The two
      discussed the coexistence of Christians and Muslims in the Middle East.

      "We reject the continuation of wars, violence and terrorism because that
      destroys Muslims and Christians alike,” he said.

      Daniel encouraged the Maronite patriarch to promote such a message in
      the name of the people of Romania, Lebanon and the entire region, Rai said.

      Rai traveled to Romania Thursday to inaugurate St. Charbel Church in
      Bucharest and he is expected to meet with several church officials there.

      He invited the Romanian patriarch to visit Lebanon, saying he would
      coordinate such a trip with Greek Orthodox Patriarch John X Yazigi.

      For his part, Daniel called on Christians in the Middle East and all
      other sects to work together for peace in the region.

      "I received Patriarch Rai as a messenger of peace and we should all work
      together for peace and finding peaceful solution as an alternative to
      war and violence in this region where rich Christian heritage exists,”
      he said.

      He added that Rai explained the current situation in the region, saying
      he expressed his desire to work with the patriarch to promote peace.

      When asked about the two bishops who were kidnapped in Syria earlier
      this year, Daniel said: “Maybe our prayers could help end this case.”

      Read more:
      http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Lebanon-News/2013/Sep-13/231190-rai-voices-fear-over-sectarian-killing-in-region.ashx#ixzz2epXkmzrN
      (The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)