Perth Amboy church needs new priest

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2013
      http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013308270009&gcheck=1

      Perth Amboy church needs new priest
      Aug. 26, 2013

      It has been a few months since the untimely death of our beloved Father
      Michael S. Rosco. Various priests, among them Father Myron Zuder, Father
      Stephen Krivonak and Deacon Gregory have ably conducted Sunday services,
      unfortunately to more empty seats in the pews than ever. Church officers
      starting with Steve Gallant have performed very well.

      Now we have been informed that a priest has been chosen for our parish,
      St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church [Note: Carpatho Russian Diocese,
      http://sjacrod.com/ ]. But no name has been mentioned. It is not in our
      best interest nor that of the diocese that the new priest will not be
      available until next Oct. 1. Apparently this is due to a shortage of
      priests in our diocese.

      This is a good time for our diocese to come up with actions to improve
      our religion and its practices. First and foremost is the ordination of
      women as priests. For centuries they have been relegated to subordinate
      roles in the Orthodox and Catholic religions. Yet they possess
      qualities, especially compassion and devotion, often lacking in us males.

      The Jewish religion has ordained women as rabbis. The one in our city is
      a most worthy example. So are the various Protestant religions who have
      women clergy. Yes, indeed, dear friends, the time has come for women to
      be ordained on an equal footing with men. This may serve to rejuvenate
      our faiths.

      Another reform is to designate an auxiliary bishop to succeed the bishop
      in case the bishop dies or is incapacitated, similar to our government’s
      vice president. This would have eliminated the present chaos in St.
      John’s in Perth Amboy.

      Peter Book