MARK STOKOE interview about an OCA experiment with Orthodox Mission in Guatemala

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2013
      [English] http://www.portal-credo.ru/site/?act=news&id=102889

      editor of OCANews.org, about an OCA experiment with Orthodox Mission in

      with your permission, what do you think – why and when did the Maya
      tribes living in Guatemala develop a longing for the Orthodox Church? What
      played the biggest role in this process – frustrations with Roman Catholics and
      Protestants under whose omophorion the tribes had been – or persistent
      missionary activity of some Orthodox jurisdiction?
      Mark Stokoe: While history never
      repeats itself, it often circles around. So, one thousand twenty five years ago,
      the people of Kievan Rus did not “develop a longing for the Orthodox Church”
      anymore than the Mayan tribes have today. Rather, their leaders did - and so
      they dutifully followed. In Kievan Rus they were led by St. Vladimir and in
      Guatemala they are being led by a former Catholic priest, Fr. Andres Giron. Fr.
      Giron is a well-known figure in Mayan and Guatemalan politics – a former
      Senator, Ambassador, and Presidential candidate, who has led a large and active
      movement for land reform for decades. This led to tension with the Roman
      Catholic hierarchy, and he was ultimately asked to leave the Roman Catholic
      priesthood. He became the head of a large group (several tens of thousands, if
      not hundreds of thousands of people, mostly Mayans), almost all nominal
      Catholics, whom he is now leading to what we can all hope is a permanent home in
      the canonical Orthodox Church.
      - Why Orthodoxy?
      - Well, Fr. Giron is now older,
      and he wants his people to have a stable, solid, spiritual home. He has survived
      several assassination attempts, but knows he cannot outrun a natural death. He
      knows what happens to groups that coalesce around a charismatic leader after
      that leader passes. All to often the groups disintegrate, and all their works
      disappear. A serious theologian, a historian, and a leader, Fr. Giron wanted his
      people to find a home in a “catholic” Church that respects local differences and
      customs, and had a solid sacramental and theological perspective, and a viable
      priesthood. The more he learned of Orthodoxy, the more he saw this as the viable

      Orthodox missionary work had little to do with it – he found us,
      rather than the other way around. His first contacts were with the OCA, and he
      visited St. Vladimir’s and Syosset, attending a Metropolitan Council meeting to
      learn more about how we worked. He was very pleased, and as a former member of
      the Metropolitan Council who spent hours speaking with him, I was much impressed
      by him.

      Unfortunately, Constantinople was not pleased. They immediately
      informed Syosset that receiving anybody into the OCA in Latin America, outside
      of Mexico, would have the gravest consequences, and that they, and they alone,
      would take over the reception of the Guatemalans. And so they did.
      - Does Orthodoxy have any sort
      of future in this region?

      - Of course! I suggest you read Fr. Michael Oleksa’s writings
      about Orthodoxy and native Americans – north or south. Orthodoxy is already the
      second largest faith of America’s native peoples. And his point is that
      Orthodoxy, presented as a living faith, and not a museum of the past, can grow
      in the future. The real choice our Church in the Americas has to make is whether
      Tradition is seen as the wind in our sails, or as an anchor to hold us in
      - Which of the Orthodox
      jurisdictions would it benefit most – the Greeks, Russians or someone else? Or
      would it be a problem for everyone?

      - Not to blame you, for that is a fair question in today’s world.
      But alas, we often talk about which “Church”, seen as jurisdictions, such moves
      benefit. The one question that is to little asked is: “Are the Guatemalans
      benefited in their journey towards God by becoming members of the Ecumenical
      Patriarchate?” That is the only important question. And one can only answer: one
      hopes that will be the case. Historically speaking, however, the Patriarchate
      does not have a great reputation as a missionary institution, as one open to
      cultural, linguistic, liturgical and political diversity, does it?
      - Might not St. Vladimir’s have
      been hasty in opening an affiliate in Guatemala?Might the OCA somehow
      participate in the process in general?

      - Many in the OCA – bishops, priests and lay people - have had a
      long history with the Hogar Orphanage and monastery in Guatemala, in both
      offering support and adopting children. One expects such personal and local ties
      will continue no matter what happens corporately with the Gironistas. And if St.
      Vladimir’s can offer theological training locally, let us thank God they are
      willing to do it, and the Gironistas are willing to receive it. If the past is
      any prologue, I suspect any Guatemalans being considered for the priesthood or
      episcopacy will be sent to Greece, not New York. And if that is case, I suspect
      a Greek-speaking Mayan priest will be as effective keeping Mayans in the
      Orthodox Church as Spanish-speaking Mayan priests were effective in keeping them
      in the Catholic Church.

      But as for the OCA officially participating in the process of
      their being received into the Church organizationally, that door has been closed
      by the Patriarchate. Such are the sad realities of jurisdictional politics.
      Interviewed by Svetlana
      New York,
      for “Portal-Credo.Ru”