Patriarch of Antioch thanks Russian Church for defending Christians in Middle East

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2013
      https://mospat.ru/en/2013/08/23/news90053/

      Patriarch of Antioch thanks Russian Church for defending Christians in
      Middle East
      Print This Post

      23.08.2013 · Inter-Orthodox relations

      His Beatitude Patriarch John X of Great Antioch and All the East sent a
      message to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, in
      which he expressed his gratitude for the efforts that the Russian
      Orthodox Church makes to defend Christians in the Middle East.

      In his letter, His Beatitude Patriarch John X mentioned the celebration
      marking the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism Russia, which was held in
      Moscow, Kiev and Minsk with the participation of the Primates and
      representatives of all Local Orthodox Churches, saying in particular, “I
      was… so happy to see the brothers gathering about the holy Divine Altar
      and praising the Author of Life, Our Lord Jesus Christ who blessed
      Russia and the Russian People and granted this great nation all his
      heavenly blessings to be a true and sincere witness of Christendom. The
      baptism of Russia is not only an historical event, but it is also a
      concrete and lived reality that all people and nations can “come and
      see” (John 1:46) and praise the Lord Jesus Christ.”

      According to His Beatitude, “with deep feeling of respect and
      appreciation” he read the Statement by Heads and Representatives of the
      Local Orthodox Churches Assembled for the Celebration of the 1025th
      Anniversary of the Baptism of Russia. The main theme of the joint
      statement is the situation of Christians in the Middle East.

      “I consider it my duty to raise an Antiochian thankful voice to support
      and share every word of the released statement,” Patriarch John’s letter
      reads. “Truly, Christians are persecuted and damaged in the Middle East,
      in the land of Jesus Christ. The salvation of Syria and of all the
      Middle East comes, as mentioned, through the logic of dialogue and
      peaceful political settlement. Extremism, fundamentalism and blind
      radicalism are the most great dangers which threaten not only the
      Christian presence, but the existence of the States and the peace of all
      the nations.”

      His Beatitude Patriarch John X of Great Antioch and All the East
      expressed his wish to pay a brotherly visit to the Russian Orthodox
      Church and said in conclusion of his letter, “May Lord, Jesus Christ,
      the King of Peace give us His Divine Peace, grant you, the Russian Synod
      and the Russian People His heavenly blessings and bless the efforts of
      all the orthodox world to settle the peace in the Middle East and in all
      the world redeemed by the precious blood of our Savior.”