St. Stepen the Protomartyr ACROD church celebrates 50 yrs

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2013

      http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yourlatrobe/yourlatrobemore/4384142-74/church-urchek-mary#axzz2bu3a3WBf

      St. Stephen the Protomartyr Orthodox Church celebrates 50 years in Unity

      1 / 8
      submittedMembers gather for one of the first services at St. Stephen’s Orthodox Church on Susan Drive in Unity in 1964. The church, which was founded and organized in 1963, celebrates its 50th anniversary Aug. 23.
      About Stacey Federoff
      Stacey Federoff 724-836-6660
      Staff Reporter
      Tribune-Review

      Contact Us | Video | RSS | Mobile
      Details
      Divine Liturgy
      Bishop Gregory Tatsis of the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese will celebrate Divine Liturgy along with other priests at 10 a.m. Aug. 25 in the church at 1520 Susan Drive, Unity. He will be the featured speaker at the celebratory banquet, set for 1 p.m. in Huber Hall, 300 Alexandria St., Latrobe. Chancellor Frank Miloro will serve as toastmaster. Tickets for the dinner are $20 and are available before Sunday by calling the Rev. Tony Joseph at 724-266-9475.
      Daily Photo Galleries
      Tuesday - August 13, 2013
      Latrobe Photo Galleries
      Pittsburgh Steeline drummers to keep beat at Steelers games

      By Stacey Federoff

      Published: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
      Updated 38 minutes ago

      Frank Calabrese, 73, of Darlington twisted cotton wicks on Thursday for the oil lamps inside St. Stephen the Protomartyr Orthodox Church in Unity.
      The small white church with the tall gold cupola — packed with 99 people for a wedding in June — will celebrate its 50th anniversary Aug. 25.
      “We're small here, but we get along so well,” Calabrese said.
      A photo of the church under construction in 1963 has a car hood ornament watching over the grounds.
      “It looks like the angel is looking at the site of the church,” said Mary Urchek, 82, of Derry Township, who has attended the church since its founding.
      Among those photos, Urchek also has baptisms, dinners and picnics from over the years.
      “I just love my church,” she said. “I love God first, I love my family, and I love my church family.”
      The church was formed as families from St. Mary Byzantine Catholic Church in Bradenville opposed “Latinization” changes and wanted to continue to celebrate more orthodox traditions.
      “It just means ‘true' or ‘unchanged,' so I don't know why people are so afraid of the word,” said Urchek, who still says her prayers at home in Slavonic.
      Most of Divine Liturgy is celebrated in English, and the parish accommodates Christmas celebrations on Dec. 25, following the Julian calendar, and Jan. 7, following the Gregorian calendar.
      “We didn't want to follow the pope; we wanted to follow the patriarch,” Urchek said. “I guess when I die, nobody will be as stubborn as I am.”
      The Rev. Tony Joseph, 74, is the 13th priest since the church's founding, serving its about 60 members full-time.
      The church is “flourishing” compared with some others, he said, since the diocese, based in Johnstown, stationed him there in March.
      About 20 families celebrated liturgy in the Latrobe Armory beginning Nov. 10, 1963, before the church construction was completed on April 1, 1964.
      The church still houses the original bell, which was blessed during that year's Easter services, but a steeple was replaced with the current cupola designed by Urchek's son, David.
      Spaghetti dinners, bingos and summer picnics have been celebrated in the adjoining social hall, and the church still holds Sunday school classes for about eight children each week.
      Calabrese, who reads the Epistle during the church service every week, helps buy the wine for Communion and candles to stand near the iconostasis.
      He's glad the church has remained mostly unchanged in the past 50 years when the world around it has changed so much, but that doesn't mean he hopes for it to remain stagnant.
      “There's a couple of us here that keep saying, ‘If we ever hit the Powerball, we want to build a new church,' ” Calabrese said, especially somewhere more visible than the location on Susan Drive.
      In the history of the orthodox church, founded nearly 1,000 years ago, a gold anniversary is a “blink of an eye” in the sight of God, Joseph said.
      Urchek is glad for the recognition by the diocese.
      “It's not that 50 years is a lot,” she said. “It's just that we worked so hard to get it.”
      Stacey Federoff is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-6660 or mailto:sfederoff@...?subject=RE: St. Stephen the Protomartyr Orthodox Church celebrates 50 years in Unity story on TribLIVE