U.S. to celebrate Day of Rus Christianization

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30 7:53 AM

      27 July 2013, 16:55
      U.S. to celebrate Day of Rus Christianization

      New York, July 27, Interfax - The 1,025th anniversary of the
      Christianization of Rus will be celebrated not only in Ukraine, Russia,
      Belarus and other countries of the canonical territory of the Russian
      Church but abroad as well.

      Metropolitan Hilarion, heading the Russian Orthodox Church Outside
      Russia, has addressed parishioners urging them to gather to celebrate
      the anniversary in the city of Jackson, New Jersey, where the St.
      Vladimir Church is, the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia posted
      on its website.

      "Many of our clergy and faithful come from various non-Russian
      backgrounds, and have wholeheartedly embraced the sacred customs and
      traditions of the Russian Orthodox Church. Let us not fall into the
      temptation of segregating our Diocese into cultural groups, because as
      sons and daughters of the Russian Orthodox Church, we are all citizens
      of Holy Russia," Metropolitan Hilarion said in his appeal.

      "Today, America has need not just of Russia, but of Holy Russia as well,
      for it is only this Russia that represents true spiritual wealth," the
      appeal said.

      The day of the Christianization of Rus is celebrated on July 28. This
      year, the 1,025th anniversary of the Christianization falls on the same
      day as the 75th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox church in New
      Jersey, which was built in commemoration of Duke Vladimir, who
      christened Rus.