Fire Threatens Monastery of Saint John the Forerunner in South East Washington State

  • Nathaniel Philosophos Uhlman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2013
      Fire Threatens Monastery In Goldendale, Washington

      http://sanfran.goarch.org/news/fire-threatens-monastery-in-goldendale-washington/

      The Satus Pass fire, located in Goldendale, Washington has presently
      consumed nearly 9,000 acres, with over 800 firefighters working to
      control this fire. The Monastery of Saint John the Forerunner in
      Goldendale is in the vicinity of this fire. The sisters have been
      evacuated and are seeking refuge in nearby homes. His Eminence
      Metropolitan Gerasimos has been in contact with the sisters and they are
      all safe, and at the present time the Monastery has not sustained any
      damage.

      �This has already been a devastating year of fires throughout the United
      States. Once again, we find ourselves facing yet another threat as the
      Monastery of Saint John the Forerunner finds itself in a path of
      danger,� stated His Eminence Metropolitan Gerasimos of San Francisco.
      �We pray for the firefighters who are bravely working to save lives and
      structures, and we ask for the Lord to calm the fires and bring
      favorable weather so that no harm may come upon the people in this area.�

      Two years ago, this same Monastery was threatened by fire and the
      sisters joined with the local residents and firefighters in working to
      protect their property and assist their neighbors and community.
      Thankfully, the Monastery was spared from damage in 2011 and it is the
      fervent prayer of the clergy and faithful of the Metropolis of San
      Francisco that this same outcome may be realized.

      The Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco will provide further
      updates as additional information becomes available.