God died in Europe – Patriarch of the Serbian Orthodox Church Irinej

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2013
      http://inserbia.info/news/2013/07/god-died-in-europe-patriarch-of-the-serbian-orthodox-church-irinej/

      God died in Europe – Patriarch of the Serbian Orthodox Church Irinej

      29/7/13

      MOSCOW – Patriarch of the Serbian Orthodox Church Irinej said, at the
      end of his visit to St. Petersburg and Moscow, that Serbia is not
      running away from Europe, but that it cannot enter “in such a Europe”
      under the imposed conditions.

      “We do not have the right to deny our spirituality, culture, all those
      things that make us people. That is why I hope that the people will bind
      to its church and be thankful to God for giving them the opportunity to
      save their apostolic faith,” said Patriarch in an interview for Voice of
      Russia, saying that Serbia will in time be even stronger, both on
      spiritual and political plan.

      When asked is it possible to save orthodox roots in Serbia after joining
      EU, Patriarch said that “spiritual condition of Europe now is very poor”.

      “There, as Friedrich Nietsche said, ‘God died’. True, there are some
      little islands of church life. And one cannot be without diaspora:
      Serbian, Russian, Greek. That is why I feel words one of the Roman
      Catholic bishops said: You don’t need us, but we need you.” This, in
      principle, is not so strange,” said Patriarch.

      “There was a time when one people were for the church, and the others
      against it. It all develops down a spiral. First comes the sin, and then
      rebuilding. This repeated in history many times,” said Irinej.

      The Patriarch, who went to Russia for a 13-day-long visit, said he was
      especially pleased he participated in the holy liturgy in honor of the
      1025th anniversary of the baptism of Russia.

      “I am happy I was here and saw what I saw. I hope this was not my last
      trip to Russia and that we will visit places where, unfortunately, we
      couldn’t visit this time. But I can tell you one thing: from the
      Christian point of view, we got a very, very positive image of Russia,”
      he said.

      According to him, Russia has changed a lot since he, as Bishop of Nis,
      attended funeral of the Bishop of Moscow and whole Russia, Pimen in
      1990. “Now this is a completely different country. It resurrected, it
      has lot of churches and monasteries. And the people is now with their
      church,” said Serbian Patriarch.

      The head of the Serbian Orthodox Church describes relations between
      Serbian and Russian Orthodox Church as “relations between brothers and
      sisters”. “They have been wonderful in the past, and they are also now
      in the modern age. We all remember how many Russian citizens, fleeing
      from the October revolution, came to Serbia where they were greeted as
      brothers. Those were not only people who served the church, but also
      scientists and philosophers. They were worldly people, but very close to
      the Church,” he said.

      Patriarch Irinej also said that his teacher of Russian language was
      Michael Borowski, who graduated on the Spiritual Academy in Russia. “And
      now our students are studying in Russia, and Russian students in Serbia.
      This way, they help us strengthen our ties.”

      “His Holiness Patriarch Kirill knows our church very well and what’s
      even more important for us – situation in Kosovo and Metohija,”
      concluded Patriarch Irinej.
    • Nathaniel Philosophos Uhlman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2013
        Fire Threatens Monastery In Goldendale, Washington

        http://sanfran.goarch.org/news/fire-threatens-monastery-in-goldendale-washington/

        The Satus Pass fire, located in Goldendale, Washington has presently
        consumed nearly 9,000 acres, with over 800 firefighters working to
        control this fire. The Monastery of Saint John the Forerunner in
        Goldendale is in the vicinity of this fire. The sisters have been
        evacuated and are seeking refuge in nearby homes. His Eminence
        Metropolitan Gerasimos has been in contact with the sisters and they are
        all safe, and at the present time the Monastery has not sustained any
        damage.

        �This has already been a devastating year of fires throughout the United
        States. Once again, we find ourselves facing yet another threat as the
        Monastery of Saint John the Forerunner finds itself in a path of
        danger,� stated His Eminence Metropolitan Gerasimos of San Francisco.
        �We pray for the firefighters who are bravely working to save lives and
        structures, and we ask for the Lord to calm the fires and bring
        favorable weather so that no harm may come upon the people in this area.�

        Two years ago, this same Monastery was threatened by fire and the
        sisters joined with the local residents and firefighters in working to
        protect their property and assist their neighbors and community.
        Thankfully, the Monastery was spared from damage in 2011 and it is the
        fervent prayer of the clergy and faithful of the Metropolis of San
        Francisco that this same outcome may be realized.

        The Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco will provide further
        updates as additional information becomes available.