Russian Investigative Committee doesn't doubt authenticity of Romanov remains

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2013

      17 July 2013, 14:55
      Russian Investigative Committee doesn't doubt authenticity of Romanov
      remains

      Moscow, July 17, Interfax - The Russian Investigative Committee does not
      doubt the authenticity of the royal family remains found near
      Yekaterinburg and it is ready to answer every question of the Russian
      Orthodox Church.

      "No new data, which might have called our research into question, has
      been uncovered," senior investigator of the Russian Investigative
      Committee's Main Forensic Department Vladimir Solovyov, who investigated
      the murder of the royal family, told Interfax on Wednesday.

      The family of the last Russian emperor, Nicholas II, was executed in the
      Urals 95 years ago, in the early morning hours of July 17, 1918.

      "Numerous conferences have been held since 2008 when our report was
      published but no one has ever questioned the scientific integrity of our
      inquiry," Solovyov said.

      "It is our opinion, based on scientific methods, that the remains
      actually belong to members of the royal family," the Investigative
      Committee representative said.

      He added that the royal family murder case would not be completely
      closed until the burial of the remains of Prince Alexey and his sister
      Maria.

      "The Church claims it has certain qualms about our studies. It would be
      best to have a civilized discussion about any problems with the clerics.
      We are ready to listen to their objections and to answer their
      questions. There has been no joint work between church scholars and the
      scientists who examined the remains," Solovyov said.

      "I would like to meet with representatives of the Moscow Patriarchate
      and have a civilized discussion on every issue. It is an outrage that
      human remains are still be stored in the archives instead of being
      buried," Solovyov said about the remains of Prince Alexey and Princess
      Maria.

      Meanwhile, the House of Romanov, led by Grand Duchess of Russia Marina
      Vladimirovna, said it was not prepared to recognize the authenticity of
      the remains found in Yekaterinburg. "The head of the Russian royal
      family, Grand Duchess Marina Vladimirovna, fully shares the position of
      the Russian Orthodox Church. Neither the investigators nor the
      Prosecutor General's Office have given complete, coherent answers to the
      ten questions of the Russian Orthodox Church," the House of Romanov
      lawyer, German Lukyanov, told Interfax on Wednesday.

      "It would be premature to put the matter to rest, especially given that
      weighty evidence has been found abroad and may shed light on the actual
      state of affairs," Lukyanov said.

      The notes of investigator Nikolay Sokolov, who was looking into the
      murder of the last Russian emperor and his family in 1919 on the orders
      of Admiral Kolchak, were found during the reconstruction of the Job the
      Long-Suffering Church in Brussels, he said. The House of Romanov expects
      an analysis of the papers found in Brussels to put an end to the dispute
      over the authenticity of the royal family remains.

      The Russian Investigative Committee finished the inquiry into the
      criminal case of the death of the family of Nicholas II in January 2011.
      The remains were proclaimed genuine.

      The Russian Orthodox Church and the House of Romanov continue to deny
      the authenticity of the remains.