Russian, Serbian patriarchs criticize Serbian government

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2013
      http://www.b92.net//eng/news/society.php?yyyy=2013&mm=07&dd=17&nav_id=86978

      | July 17, 2013 | 14:54
      Russian, Serbian patriarchs criticize Serbian government
      Source: Tanjug

      MOSCOW -- Serbian Orthodox Church (SPC) Patriarch Irinej has conferred
      with Russian Patriarch Kirill II in the Russian Patriarchate in Moscow.

      The patriarch called for help of the Russian Orthodox Church and the
      Russian government in the preservation of Kosovo and Metohija, leveling
      criticism at the Serbian authorities.

      Irinej underlined that Serbia must not renounce Kosovo and Metohija,
      because that would imply renouncing our history, culture, spirituality
      and holy sites.

      “The current government is under considerable influence of the West. The
      Church is doing all in its power to bind their consciousness to the
      powerful Russian history and the Russian Church,” the Serbian patriarch
      said.

      “Russia's stance on Kosovo and Metohija is influential. Therefore, I ask
      you and, through you, the state leadership to help us solve this issue
      and thus preserve Kosovo and Metohija,” he added.

      Patriarch Kirill reiterated that the Russian Orthodox Church agrees with
      the stands of the SPC in terms of Kosovo and Metohija, and he also
      criticized Serbia's political leadership.

      "I regret to say that Serbia's political leaders lack courage to take
      the same stands. I believe that the political leadership should consider
      the stands of the SPC and not ignore them, let alone to do that
      publicly," the Russian Patriarch said at the meeting.

      Patriarch Kirill "reacted positively to the request of Patriarch
      Irinej," Tanjug reported.

      "We are offering our unreserved support to the SPC righteous position in
      terms of Kosovo-Metohija and we will remain in the dialogue with leaders
      of Russia and other countries in defending the stance that we are
      sharing with the SPC," the Russian patriarch said.

      "In creating of a model for solving the Kosovo and Metohija issue, the
      SPC would have to be included, and an acceptable model would have to
      provide firm guarantees for the survival of the Serb community and
      preservation of Serb holy sites in Kosovoand Metohija," said Kirill.

      The Russian Orthodox Church will continue to collect funds for the
      reconstruction of Serb churches and monasteries in Kosovo, the Russian
      patriarch said.

      Patriarch Irinej on his first official visit to Russia since his
      appointment. The SPC delegation will visit Russian churches and
      monasteries and Orthodox holy sites in Ukraine and Belarus during the
      two-week visit.

      The SPC Patriarch and other Patriarchs of autocephalous Orthodox
      churches will take part in marking the 1025 years of Christianity in Russia.

      The Orthodox Patriarchs will be received by the presidents of Russia,
      Ukraine and Belarus.