Patriarch Kirill conducts Romanov Dynasty 400th anniversary service in St. Petersburg

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2013

      12 July 2013, 14:01
      Patriarch Kirill conducts Romanov Dynasty 400th anniversary service in
      St. Petersburg

      St. Petersburg, July 12, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All
      Russia presided over a religious service marking the 400th anniversary
      of the House of Romanov at the Peter and Paul Cathedral in St.
      Petersburg on Friday.

      Hundreds of worshippers gathered at the cathedral and in the square in
      front of it for the service, an Interfax correspondent reported. The
      event was also broadcast live on TV screens installed across St. Petersburg.

      Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna of Russia arrived from Madrid to attend
      the religious service.

      After the service, Patriarch Kirill said that it was dedicated to the
      400th anniversary of the Romanov Dynasty, Peter and Paul Day, as well as
      1025 years of Christianity in Russia. "Today we are celebrating the 400
      years of the House of Romanov. It is with gratitude that we recall what
      they did for the benefit of the people. We know how Russia turned into a
      great state, a world power, how its economy, industry and culture
      developed," he said.

      "Today we prayed for the prosperity of Rus. We prayed for the growth of
      material wellbeing, which is so much needed today, to be accompanied by
      the growth of spiritual wellbeing. It is the beginning that is able to
      ensure the nation's step-by-step development without any frightening
      rifts, fractures and catastrophes," the patriarch said.