New Georgian authorities ready to restore all Armenian Churches

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2013
      http://www.armradio.am/en/2013/06/03/new-georgian-authorities-ready-to-restore-all-armenian-churches/

      New Georgian authorities ready to restore all Armenian Churches
      14:53 03.06.2013

      Gita Elibekyan
      “Radiolur”
      Tbilisi

      Georgian Prime Minister Bidzina Ivanishvili, accompanied by a group of
      representatives of the government, visited the Armenian St. Gevorg
      Church in Tbilisi, where reconstruction works are underway. The Prime
      Minister offered his support to the reconstruction fund.

      Georgian Minister for Reconstruction Paata Zakareishvili said all
      churches are the wealth of the country and stressed the need to maintain
      them.

      “It’s not important to our government who the churches belong to and who
      prays in them. They comprise the wealth of our nation and Georgia is
      obliged to preserve them,” Zakareishvili told “Radiolur”

      The Minister said the new Georgian authorities will do their best to
      ensure that the historic monuments, churches in Georgia stand for
      centuries. He said to be proud of the presence of exceptional Armenian
      culture in Georgia.

      “We’re proud to have such a church in the center of Tbilisi,”
      Zakareishvili said.

      St. Gevorg of Tbilisi was closed for reconstruction last year. The
      reconstruction works are being carried out with the support of Armenian
      benefactors.

      The cathedral was commissioned in 1251 by a wealthy merchant named Umek
      of Karin (Erzerum). It was last restored in 1924.