Metropolitan Hilarion: No Women On Mt. Athos

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2013
      http://eu.greekreporter.com/2013/06/01/metropolitan-hilarion-no-women-on-mt-athos/

      Metropolitan Hilarion: No Women On Mt. Athos
      By Maria Korologou on June 1, 2013

      Hilarion, Metropolitan of Volokolamsk and Chairman of the Department of
      External Church Relations of the Patriarchate of Moscow, revealed that
      Greece is under the pressure of international organizations to lift the
      prohibition on entry for women to Mount Athos, called avaton (Άβατον) in
      Greek.

      In a press release he issued on the occasion of the visit of the
      Patriarch of Moscow and all of Russia, and Primate of the Russian
      Orthodox Church, Kirill I, Metropolitan Hilarion underlined that this is
      happening in order for Mount Athos to be opened for tourism to both
      sexes, “but so far Greece’s resistance on the matter is solid and we
      hope that it continues to be so, because any kind of changes in Athos
      and around it can have a fatal impact on this island of spirituality,
      which constitutes a common legacy for all the orthodox world.”

      One of the subjects likely to be discussed between the primates of the
      Orthodox Churches of Greece and Russia is the Christian’s stance in the
      Middle East, “which has to be put forward in high tones in international
      talks, because in the region highly unfavorable circumstances are
      developed for Christians: murders are still happening, kidnappings of
      bishops and priests,” such as two Orthodox Bishops in Syria.

      According to Metropolitan Hilarion, “The Russian Church cannot stay
      uninvolved. We will try to activate all international mechanisms to
      solve these problems.”