Fw: DAILY READINGS Sunday, Feb 01, 2004

  • Teresa A. Polychronis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2004
      MODERATOR'S NOTE

      Although this list is for Orthodox Christian News - all news articles, announcements and re-posts must include some reference to Orthodoxy - this post is allowed this one time to be a vehicle for clarification:

      Orthodox Christian News Yahoo Group is not for these types of posts either - the key term is NEWS - anouncement about this GOAA service would have been appropriate, however the full readings and hymns below will not be allowed in future posts as there are many orthodox list services that only post daily readings, lives of saints and hymnography.

      This list is intended to be a clearinghouse for news about anf for Orthodox Christians. So enjoy today's readings sent by Teresa A. Polychronis. Teresa please forgive this intrusion into your post aand thank you for the teaching moment it allowed.

      Please invite your friends to join us and help us by posting pertinent news.

      Peace to all!

      One of the moderators
      Pray for us

      + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

      GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
      DAILYREADINGS LISTSERVER

      View the daily readings, lives of saints, hourly prayers
      weekly meditations and more at Online Chapel:
      http://www.goarch.org/en/chapel

      Unsubscribe information at the end of this email

      + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

      Daily Scripture Readings and Lives of the Saints Commemorated.

      On Sunday, February 1, 2004 we celebrate:

      EPISTLE READING

      The Reading is from St. Paul's Letter to the
      Romans 8:28-39

      Brethren, we know that in everything God
      works for good with those who love him, who
      are called according to his purpose. For
      those whom he foreknew he also predestined to
      be conformed to the image of his Son, in
      order that he might be the first-born among
      many brethren. And those whom he predestined
      he also called; and those whom he called he
      also justified; and those whom he justified
      he also glorified.

      What then shall we say to this? If God is for
      us, who is against us? He who did not spare
      his own Son but gave him up for us all, will
      he not also give us all things with him? Who
      shall bring any charge against God's elect?
      It is God who justifies; who is to condemn?
      Is it Christ Jesus, who died, yes, who was
      raised from the dead, who is at the right
      hand of God, who indeed intercedes for us?
      Who shall separate us from the love of
      Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or
      persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or
      peril, or sword? As it is written, "For thy
      sake we are being killed all the day long; we
      are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered." No,
      in all these things we are more than
      conquerors through him who loved us. For I am
      sure that neither death, nor life, nor
      angels, nor principalities, nor things
      present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor
      height, nor depth, nor anything else in all
      creation, will be able to separate us from
      the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

      (C) 2004 Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

      GOSPEL READING

      Sunday of the Publican and Pharisee: Triodion
      Begins Today

      The Reading is from Luke 18:9-14

      The Lord said this parable, "Two men went up
      into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and
      the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood
      and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank
      you that I am not like other men,
      extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even
      like this tax collector. I fast twice a week,
      I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax
      collector, standing far off, would not even
      lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his
      breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a
      sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to
      his house justified rather than the other;
      for everyone who exalts himself will be
      humbled, but he who humbles himself will be
      exalted."

      (C) 2004 Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

      Sunday of the Publican and Pharisee: Triodion Begins Today
      Plagal of the Fourth Tone
      Eleventh Orthros Gospel

      Resurrectional Apolytikion:

      Plagal of the Fourth Tone

      O Merciful One, You came from on high, and
      condescended to Your three day burial to save
      us from suffering. You are our Life and our
      Resurrection. Glory to You.

      Resurrectional Kontakion:

      Plagal of the Fourth Tone

      When You rose from the Tomb, You resurrected
      Adam and raised the dead. Eve rejoices in
      Your Resurrection. The ends of earth, O
      Merciful One, celebrate Your Resurrection
      from the dead.

      Seasonal Kontakion:

      Fourth Tone

      Let us flee from the boasting of the Pharisee
      and learn through our own sighs of sorrow the
      humility of the Publican. Let us cry out to
      the Savior, "Have mercy on us, for through
      You alone are we reconciled."

      Reading:

      The Pharisees were an ancient and outstanding
      sect among the Jews known for their diligent
      observance of the outward matters of the Law.
      Although, according to the word of our Lord,
      they "did all their works to be seen of men"
      (Matt. 23:5), and were hypocrites (ibid. 23:
      13, 14, 15, etc.), because of the apparent
      holiness of their lives they were thought by
      all to be righteous, and separate from
      others, which is what the name Pharisee
      means. On the other hand, Publicans,
      collectors of the royal taxes, committed many
      injustices and extortions for filthy lucre's
      sake, and all held them to be sinners and
      unjust. It was therefore according to common
      opinion that the Lord Jesus in His parable
      signified a virtuous person by a Pharisee,
      and a sinner by a Publican, to teach His
      disciples the harm of pride and the profit of
      humble-mindedness.

      Since the chief weapon for virtue is
      humility, and the greatest hindrance to it is
      pride, the divine Fathers have set these
      three weeks before the Forty-day Fast as a
      preparation for the spiritual struggles of
      virtue. This present week they have called
      Harbinger, since it declares that the Fast is
      approaching; and they set humility as the
      foundation for all our spiritual labors by
      appointing that the parable of the Publican
      and the Pharisee be read today, even before
      the Fast begins, to teach, through the
      vaunting of the Pharisee, that the foul smoke
      of self-esteem and the stench of boasting
      drives away the grace of the Spirit, strips
      man of all his virtue, and casts him into the
      pits of Hades; and, through the repentance
      and contrite prayer of the Publican, that
      humility confers upon the sinner forgiveness
      of all his wicked deeds and raises him up to
      the greatest heights.

      All foods are allowed the week that follows
      this Sunday.

      Reading courtesy of Holy Transfiguration Monastery, Brookline, MA
      Kontakion courtesy of Holy Cross Press, Brookline, MA
      (C) 2004 Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

      Note that the information contained in this email is
      protected by copyright and has been used with permission.
      The content disseminated on this list is for personal use
      only. It may not be transferred or published to any web
      site or archived via any means.

      The DAILYREADINGS list is being made possible by the
      Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Department of Internet Ministries.
      http://www.internet.goarch.org