UOC-Moscow Patriarchate Will Not Change Its Name

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2013
      http://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/orthodox/uoc/52457/

      Metropolitan Antonii: UOC-Moscow Patriarchate Will Not Change Its Name

      Administrator of Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Moscow Patriarchate (UOC-MP),
      Metropolitan Antonii (Pakanych) of Boryspil of UOC-MP said at the
      opening of the “7th Festival of Orthodox Mass Media” in Lviv on 27 May
      that he opposed the idea of renaming of the Church in answer to a
      question of a representative of the Union of Orthodox Brotherhoods of
      Ukraine. The representative noted that the name of the Church did not
      contain the words “Kyiv” or “Rus” which point to the “sources of Orthodoxy.”

      “We know that the Patriarch of Constantinople’s title is “of
      Constantinople” and not “of Istanbul.” The same with the Church of
      Constantinople. Therefore, the situation is not logical and historically
      unjust. What would you say to renaming the Church to include the words
      “Kyiv” or “Rus?” he asked.

      Metropolitan did not like the proposed idea of renaming: “I think the
      most important thing is that the name of our Church contains the word
      “Orthodox.”