Bulgarian Patriarch: Kids Need to Know More about Orthodox Christianity

    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2013
      http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=150534

      Bulgarian Patriarch: Kids Need to Know More about Orthodox Christianity
      Culture | May 19, 2013

      Bulgarian kids should have the opportunity to learn about their Orthodox
      Christian heritage, stated Bulgarian Orthodox Church Patriarch Neofit.

      Sunday Neofit extended an address to the clergy and people of the Church
      on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the restoration of the
      Bulgarain patriarchy.

      The message, read out by bishop Naum, Chief Secretary of the Holy Synod,
      made a strong case for the introduction of religion as a subject in
      school with a special emphasis on Orthodox Christianity.

      It also reflected on the last 60 years of history for the Bulgarian
      Orthodox Church.

      "The past decades were not easy, but with God's help, immutably led by
      the spirit of truth all of us, according to the measure of our powers,
      bore witness to the resurrection of Christ," said Neofit.

      "Today we are calling and will continue to call for more oportunities
      for the eternal salvation mission of the Church in our dear homeland and
      beyond her confines," stressed the Patriarch.

      "What has been accomplished is not little, but it is not enough either."

      Patriarch Neofit also reflected on what he called a "spiritual crisis"
      that Bulgarian society is going through, and which according to him is
      deeper than any financial and political troubles.

      "There is a crisis of values, a crisis in thinking through the eternal
      truths about God, the world, and humanity," said Neofit.

      Sunday the Patriarch held a festive mass at the patriarchal St.
      Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Sofia.