Pascha in Dachau, 1945

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7 10:46 AM
      [Edited machine translation]
      http://www.bogoslov.ru/text/3235233/index.html

      Pascha in Dachau in 1945

      Gleb [Alexandrovich]Rahr.  Pascha in Dachau in 1945. 6 May 2013. http://www.chaskor.ru/

      Dachau concentration camp, April 27, 1945.The last transport of prisoners arrived from Buchenwald.Of the 5,000 originally destined for Dachau, I was among the 1,300 who had survived the trip. Many were shot, some died of starvation, others - from typhoid fever ... Of course, all this time I was aware of the fact that these momentous events took place during Holy Week.But as we observe it, in addition to our quiet, private prayer? full article [in Russian].
      http://www.chaskor.ru/article/pasha_v_dahau_v_1945_godu_31636%c2%a0

      EXCERPT: "In the entire history of the Orthodox Church there has probably never been a Paschal service like the one at Dachau in 1945. Greek and Serbian priests and a Serbian deacon wore make-shift "vestments" over gray-blue striped prison clothes.Then they began to chant, changing from Greek to church Slavonic, and then back again to Greek. The Paschal Canon, the Paschal verses were all sung by heart. The Gospel - "In the beginning was the Word" - from memory.Finally, the sermon of St.John Chrysostom - also from memory. A young Greek monk from the Holy Mountain stood up in front of us and recited it with such infectious enthusiasm that we shall never forget the rest of our lives. It seemed that John Chrysostom himself spoke through him to us and to the rest of the world! "